What's up with this weird-looking egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Xtina, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Xtina

Xtina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Today I found this egg in my coop. It wasn't cracked until it touched another egg, so the shell is just really fragile. But what's up with that shape? And I've been throwing tons of grit and eggshells out there for them, so why is this shell soft in the first place?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    someone either needs some oyster shell or laying their first eggs.

whacky, eh?

3. mychickensrock

mychickensrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I keep finding ones like that in my coop and run. I'm pretty sure I know who's laying them. They all have free access to oyster shell. She's the only girl who does it too. I find at least 2 or 3 a week. This one girl had a prolapsed vent at one point. Don't know if that has something to do with it. I'll take a pic next time I find one (probably tomorrow) and I'll post it for you here. The shells are like paper thin and almost leathery. Like there's barely any actual shell. Is that what yours feels like?

4. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    We had a New hampshire lay one just like that today, a few days ago she layed a shelless one, shes layed a few hard then this, she is a first time layer. If one of yours is dont worry.

5. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    I had a button quail that layed on like that.. She was an experiance layer.. So she wasnt new at it.. I have found out.. That if she gets scared, she lays her egg to early.. And it didnt get enough shell on it.. One time she layed one that had no shell at all only the white membrane.. All my buttons lay in the evening for some reason.. So I make sure I clean cages early in the day or after they lay.. That way I dont scare them..

6. Xtina

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    I don't recall it feeling leathery, but the shell was paper-thin. I hope it isn't a prolapsed vent! There's not much that can be done about that, is there? And I thought I was giving them tons of access to calcium, it's all over the ground outside and i throw grains into it so they're more likely to pick it up even if they don't like it much. Also, no, she's not a new layer, she's been laying for months now. Weird!

7. PQ

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    Our hen has been laying for about 3-4 months hard eggs. Then it was the shelless then the paper thin shell.

8. mychickensrock

mychickensrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote:My girl, Chickpea, has been laying for 4 or 5 months. When she had the prolapsed vent, we put Preparation H on it and pushed it back in. She's ok. DH and I were finding these eggs even before the prolapse. We have found that Chickpea's eggs are either these weird ones (which we never find whole) or they are really thick. Lately she's laid a few from the roost. Like they just fall out or something. [​IMG]

9. Xtina

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Weird! So I guess I shouldn't worry for the time being unless something more serious happens.

10. PQ

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    Keep us posted, will take a picture of our next egg as my son always eats the funky ones first [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by