whats ur thoughts on this...?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bmiss, Nov 17, 2011.

1. bmiss

bmiss Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    NE Mississippi
    im wanting to get me a rooster and a few hens ...

after doing alot of research, i'm wanting to get a pair of deleware, barred rock, speckled sussex and buff rock hens...

im wanting to get a rooster but i don't know which of the four types to pick from?

would you get a deleware, barred, buff or speckled sussex rooster (if you were to pick from only those 4)?

and let me say up front... everyone here as been very courteous. im members of all types of forums and this is the friendliest one ive seen. thanks for the help.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I like the Speckled Sussex!! [​IMG]

3. bmiss

bmiss Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    NE Mississippi
    as far as looks, i like the speckled sussex roosters the best of those 4 types....

4. bmiss

bmiss Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    NE Mississippi
    i've also thought about getting a single fayoumis hen....my kid loves the old road runner cartoons and i know she'd love it...

most of the research i've seen on the fayoumis, they are small but huge on attitude. think a single hen would do ok with the others?

5. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I like speckled sussex. They're pretty birds, generally have a good temperament, and they are big enough that if you hatch eggs the extra cockerels would be fairly good eating. It's hard to give thoughts on which one to recommend without knowing why you want a rooster. If you just want a pretty roo for ambiance and his musical talents then any of those breeds would be a good choice. For protecting the hens, again any of those breeds is probably an equally good choice. If you are looking to hatch some eggs to replenish your flock with more laying hens and eat the cockerels then all of the breeds you have listed could be good for that depending on where you purchase your birds. If you go with either the speckled sussex or buff rock for the rooster, you will also have the advantage that any eggs you hatch from the barred rock hens would be sex-linked chicks and easily sexed by sight at hatch (a non-barred rooster over barred hens makes sex links).

6. bmiss

bmiss Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    NE Mississippi
    Quote:i'd get a roo for protection and ro replenish the flock/eat the extra roos...

i had no idea about the sex link thing with the barred hens/non-barred rooster. thats pretty kool [​IMG]

i'm gonna start off with chicks from mcmurray....

7. bmiss

bmiss Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    NE Mississippi
    i've even considered getting RIR/Buff Rock/Speckled Sussex..... think the hybrids between those 3 breeds will put off sum good offspring?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by