What's with the air cell?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Farm Frenzy, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I'm a first time hatcher...doing it for my daughter's science project, and I just wanted to know how to check the air cell. I definitely see one, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. Can someone help out a newbie, and explain what I'm supposed to be looking at. I've looked a pictures online, but I still don't get it. Does it get bigger, smaller....I have no clue!!!

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    It should get bigger as the incubation goes along. What day are you on?

3. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    By the way, where are you in FL?

4. Farm Frenzy

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Yes ma'am, Florida. And I am on day 16!![​IMG] I have never read and researched something so much, and it just seems like every answer is diferent. On one website, it says incubate at 100.5, then another says 99. I know it's not much of a difference, but I don't want to make any mistakes. It's so close, I can barely stand it. I ordered these silkie eggs off ebay. Got nine, and only two weren't fertile....I think. The other seven have definite growth. When I candle, which we record for the project, the shadow keeps getting bigger and bigger. But I see no movement, does that matter? Should I see movement? [​IMG]

5. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    You can't always see movement. You see it the best when they're 7-10 days old b/c it's just a little blob spinning around. By day 16 you should just be able to see a big black blob in there. The air cell should take up about 1/4-1/3 of the shell by the time they hatch. If the eggs were shipped the air cell is sometimes too large, but it still seems to work out ok. I love Silkies and they are SO cute when they're born! I should have Silkie eggs arriving today to go with the other chicken, duck, and turkey eggs in the incubator. LOL. We're having a swap/buy/sell meet at my house Jan. 17 if you want to come. [​IMG] Where in FL are you?

6. Farm Frenzy

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Oak Hill, just south of New Smyrna Beach.

7. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Ok, so I guess you're about 2 hours from here. Feel free to come if you feel like driving. [​IMG]

8. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    What other kinds of chickens do you have?

9. Farm Frenzy

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Ameracaunas, and Barred Rocks.

10. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I love Ameraucanas. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by