What's with these eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MEMama3, Aug 28, 2013.

1. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I got three ameraucana chickens that are 15 months old. I was told that they all lay true ameraucana blue eggs. None of them laid for about two weeks after being relocated. When they started up again, two of them lay the perfect blue eggs. The third lays a light brown almost creamy colored egg. Not sure why, but I'm going with it. My question is, what's with the weird pigment? All of them have come out with this weird "bulls eye" on the side. And before you ask, it isn't on the side that the egg was down in the nest (ex: some of the pigment got on the bedding leaving a lighter spot)

[​IMG]

Odd, isn't it? What are your thoughts?

2. rrgrassi

rrgrassi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Royse City
    I have that happen with my RIR's Barred Rocks, etc. I even get speckled eggs. I does not bother me as long as they taste good!

3. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I get speckled eggs from several birds,but she's the only one whose done this. You're right though, they're still yummy.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    http://www.alltech.com/sites/default/files/alltech-egg-shell-quality-poster.pdf

This poster might interest you. There is a photo at the bottom, white banded eggs, that looks like what you are seeing.

If that’s it and you are seeing it every day, it sounds like something is messed up in her internal egg laying factory. Something is messed up with the timing of when she releases a yolk for her next egg and when she lays the old egg.

I agree there is nothing wrong with that egg itself, but I would not hatch any of her eggs. I would not want those genetics in my flock.

5. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    We are rooster free, so no worries there. Thanks so much for the link!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by