What's With This Chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by duckking, Jan 24, 2011.

1. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Posted this in a reply to another thread, but this is a different issue related or not related to laying?

Thanks again. Total newbie to this stuff. Yesterday the RIR and Delaware were singing away. Obviously the Delaware had a weird egg, probably shelless judging from the mess on her feathers. The RIR was building a nest in the nest box and spending a lot of time in there. Later in the day all the kerfuffle stopped. I checked this AM to see if anything had happened, and nothing. They all just came running out of the coop when I opened the door like normal. BUT....the RIR's comb looks very pale all of a sudden. I noticed it seemed a little pale yesterday, but it was very noticeable today. I also found this melted chocolate kind of poop a couple of times yesterday. I looked it up and it's supposed to be cecal poop? But I've never seen it before. So now I am totally worried. She's eating and drinking just fine. Lot's of energy...nothing abnormal.

Having never done this before, I am totally clueless. I also have a hen, RIR, in the house because of an injury. Her comb and wattles are BRIGHT red. She was at the vet yesterday and no mites or anything. Her poop is totally normal.

Bottom line should any of this set off any red lights?????

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Has the RIR been laying? Sometimes, when one sings the eggsong, others join in. If the RIR hasn't started laying, yet, she may be getting ready to, especially if she's "nesting".

As far as comb color goes, they can get redder or paler depending on stress level, temperature, exertion, etc. Not necessarily a warning flag, but keep an eye on it. If her comb is consistently paler than usual, that might indicate a problem.

Cecal poo is normal (and stinky [​IMG] ). Unless you don't see her eating and pooping normally during the day, again, not necessarily a warning flag. One or more of my birds leaves a nice brown poo by my foot, every morning, when I let them out. [​IMG]

How did your other bird get injured? Could it be that your RIR got a little stressed when that incident occured? The fact that the injured hen's comb and wattles are so red could be because she's warmer in the house, or because she's already started laying, and your other bird hasn't.

I'd keep an eye on the bird in question. Let us know if you see any changes.

3. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    She is probably stressed as the injured RIR is her constant companion. They tend to stick together. The injured RIR caught her beak in the fence somehow and when she pulled out, she pulled the keratin partially away from the bone. Her upper beak is in an acrylic 'cast' and pinned. It wasn't like she was attacked or anything.

The RIR in question was 'nesting' yesterday, but no eggs so far and she's not exhibiting that behaviour today. I'm just going to keep my eye on her.

I really appreciate all the help and information. I'll get this figured out eventually. Just learning as I go along!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by