What's worse, heat stroke or slaughter?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Leilani, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Leilani

Leilani New Egg

Jul 24, 2013
    I have been left with four large/giant rescue broilers at our share house by a previous flatmate. Yesterday was a 37C day and the chickens suffered terribly. I know yesterday was a really bad day for them and it is only going to get consistently hot (I am in Perth). I am just renting and will move out soon but know that they won't be cared for as well as I look after them. Any advice sould be gratefully accepted. (These birds are huge, and have limited mobility).

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would have them slaughtered. At least it will be quick, while heat stroke would be a relatively slow death. Meat birds really aren't mean to live very long. Its often the kindest thing to just kill them.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

4. Leilani

Leilani New Egg

Jul 24, 2013
    Thank you for your replies. I just wanted reassurance that I was going to do the right thing. I don't want them to die, but I certainly don't want them to suffer. :( Thanks again, Leilani.

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Can you rehome them? There are several ways to keep chickens cool in the heat.

6. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    From what I understand, it's almost inhumane to make meat chickens live a long life. They're usually processed around 10 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by