What's wrong here?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kemical Fenix, May 4, 2017.

1. Kemical Fenix

Kemical Fenix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Hello, there's something wrong with our chickens but obviously I don't know what it is, hopefully someone might know. Most of them are losing feathers, especially on their backs & wings, there's spots missing, tail feathers looked chewed, they definitely seem to be stressed/unhappy, and egg shells are cracking very easily. I thought mites and or lice but haven't seen either on the chickens, are these symptoms of any other issues or diseases? Any help would be appreciated.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    What are you feeding? How big is your coop and run? How many birds and what breeds? Any roosters?

3. Kemical Fenix

Jun 17, 2016
    Las Vegas
    1. Nutrena layer crumbles(16% protein), and have been adding Purina flock raiser(20% protein) cause I thought it was molting at 1st.

2. We actually have 5 separate coops, 1 is 16 x 16ft, has 14 hens & 2 roosters. The others are 8 x 16ft with, 2 have 1 rooster & 5 hens, 1 has 1 rooster & 8 hens, and 1 has 13 bantams(several roosters)

3. Several different breeds, BR's, RR's, BO's, BA's, GW's, EE's and Marans

4. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    So how many birds and exactly what sort of living space? Coop space is a separate issue from run space.
    The reason I ask is because there are usually 4 primary causes for feather issues. The first is protein deficiency, the second is from picking due to overcrowding stress, third is rooster damage, and very last on the list is mites/lice.

5. Kemical Fenix

Jun 17, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Hmm, well it's not the conventional coop/run set up I guess, just large pens with nesting boxes built in. So they always have space to run around if needed. Above I gave the coop/run/pen size with amount of chickens in each. I'm pretty sure it's not from roosters, pretty sure it's not protein deficiency, and petty sure it's not due to overcrowding because we have a few roosters who roam around the back yard(1/4 acre) freely, who are having the same issues.

6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Could be a protein issue if dominant birds are keeping lower ranking birds from getting enough feed. It should also be noted that the high calcium content of layer feed can be fatal to roosters. Could be that with an wide open setup, lower ranking birds can't get out of sight of the more dominant birds. Or your hen to rooster ratio is off. The average is about 10 hens to 1 rooster. Some boys need a lot more hens, some never have issues with just a few. Some roosters are just awkward and rough and cause damage no matter what. Others are very gentle.
    Probably a combination of factors. Doubt it's lice/mites as it's happening in multiple setups.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by