What's wrong with Aspen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GammaPoppyLilyFlutter, Jul 25, 2011.

1. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    My 7-month-old EE has been limping for the past few days. This wouldn't worry me, I've dealt with limps before, but she's also had a loss of appetite and hasn't been laying eggs (she's normally a great layer). And her limp hasn't gotten better, but it's gotten worse. I can tell her best friend Quinn is nervous about her. Today I went into the chicken yard and Quinn made me follow her over to where Aspen was resting. Poor Aspen won't even eat corn, her favorite food! And Aspen sneezed today. Not your normal chicken squeak-sneeze, but a legit sneeze. it might just be a feather from her beard making her sneeze, but I just thought I should notice.

Anybody know what's wrong with her? She barely walks all day. I'm making her sleep in the nesting boxes (which are low to the ground) so that she doesn't have to jump as far in the morning, but as I said her limp only seems to be getting worse. And as far as I can tell, she eats less than a broody. What can I do to help her?

2. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Hmm, well, I would definately separate her from the rest of the flock. I would give her a round of tetracycline. She may also needs some 'extra' electrolytes and protein. While on the anti-biotics, I would give a little yougurt. The best thing I can suggest, is removing her ASAP from your flock. If you want, you could put her special friend with her. This is my thoughts for why I would remove: If she dies, the others will EAT her. You do NOT want to find that. There is a chance, small but a chance that if she is contagious, the others do not have it, so save yourself some problems. Keeping her isolated will keep her calm and comfortable, which will help her get better and recuperate. You will be able to watch her better. Is she having trouble breathing, is she eating, drinking and pooping? Is she coughing? Being able to watch her individually will help you with identifying unusual behaviours which will help pinpoint the problem. Maybe others will have some better suggestions.......
    Good Luck!!

3. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Okay, thanks! I've given her some Gatorade for extra electrolytes, doesn't seem to help much. Right now she's standing in the run all poofed up and tired-looking.

4. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Aspen just let out a bright almost neon yellow poop. Time to schedule a date with the vet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by