Whats wrong with Blondie?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cpolanco3, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Cpolanco3

Cpolanco3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2013
    This is my 17 week old pullet, Blondie. I went to let her out of her coop this morning and i could hear this strange whining noise from outside. I opened the door thinking maybe she was trying to lay her first egg, and then she sneezed. Or at least i think she sneezed. She is ignoring treats and water. My RIR "Big Red" whos the top hen of the trio is also very anxious and worried about her friend and is following her around. She can be seen towards the end of THIS video.

Please answer what i might need to do to help her out? shes a lot slower than usual today.

Claudia

2. STaggart

STaggart Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    It looks like something respiratory to me. Just 2 weeks ago I dealt with my RSL hen with similar issues. She sounded gurgly, was sneezing all the time, and was slower than usual. Although she did not have bubbles coming from her nose or eyes. I picked up Tylan-50 injectable from the farm store and after her 5 day treatment she was back to normal. I hope this helps!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Respiratory diseases will spread through your flock fairly easily. Tylan 50 injectable is good (maybe best), but you need to give shots, and if others get sick, you may want to give oxytetracycline (Terramycin) or erythromycin (Gallimycin) in the water. Separate and treat the sick ones. Here is a list of diseases and symptoms--Goldie mat have infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma (CRD or MG), or something else. Look for eye bubbles, swollen eyes or face, and eye and nasal secretions. If she develops a bad odor it could be coryza. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  4. Cpolanco3

Jul 14, 2013
    Thank you for responding. I've been reading up here and thats what i was thinking. I'll be heading out to see if the Farm store is open... if not, try TSC.

Here's another video just shortly after giving her some egg yolk. She sounded even more gurgly afterwards, but it did perk her up enough to make her want to snag another piece of egg.i'll I just wasn't sure what to treat her with as this is our first go-round with a backyard flock.

Claudia

5. Cpolanco3

Jul 14, 2013
    also, can I do a preventative treatment with my other girls, or would you suggest i wait until they show signs?

Claudia

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Your birds spend a good amount of time in a coop. Among helping keep chickens safe from predators coops are also good for swapping and sharing germs. I would recommend that all of your birds get the full course of treatment with TYLAN 50. In my humble opinion you are trying to grow chickens not maintain a nursery for repertory diseases.

Other than this Eggcessive and I are in agreement.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by