What's Wrong With Cedar Shavings?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JacobMaxwell, Feb 11, 2013.

1. JacobMaxwell

JacobMaxwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    I have had my hens on cedar shavings for almost a year now with absolutely no problems. I have read that they are supposed to be toxic but I don't understand. If cedar shavings are significantly toxic, why have I had no problems whatsoever?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    It is the fumes from the shavings. Most deaths caused by cedar are chicks on cedar bedding under a heat lamp. The heat releases more of the fumes and since the chicks are usually in a confined, draft-free area, they are the most affected by the toxic fumes.

3. JacobMaxwell

Feb 1, 2013
    Maybe, but why are cedar shavings said to be so horribly toxic to ALL chickens, not just chicks?

4. TennesseeChicken

TennesseeChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Ethridge, TN
    I have been using a mix of (free) sawdust, lately it has been mostly cedar, for my deep litter bed in the egg-mobile. I spread it over the poop in the morning after most if the chickens have left the coop. They are free-ranging all day and only come back in to lay eggs, but by the time they come back in at night, the smell from the cedar seems to have dissipated, alot. I may have to do something different in the summer when it gets really hot, but for now it seems to work for me.

5. JacobMaxwell

Feb 1, 2013
    Yah, everybody seems so against cedar, but there isn't any problem with it, even if the chickens are in the coop full time.

6. jarvis

jarvis Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    potosi
    cedar and pine are hard on ALL animals respirtory systems .. thats why everyone seems against it .. its not so much toxic .. .. but does cause respritory issues .. I think if they were in a well ventilatd area with the cedar shavings it wouldnt be as big of a problem .. but most ppl on here would rather not risk it at all . and use hard wood shavings .. like aspen or oak ..
    I personally use wood pellets they absorb the urine ..and anything wet .. and turn into sawdust after getting wet .. they cut the smells down a lot .. and are easy to clean up ..

7. JacobMaxwell

Feb 1, 2013
    Do you use the kind of wood pellets burned in a pellet stove?

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I'll take a guess as another horse owner and one who uses wood pellets also it;s the wood pellet horse bedding, found at the farm supplies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by