1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Whats wrong with chicks feathers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ccoomber, Nov 15, 2011.

1. ccoomber

ccoomber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2009
    Redhill, UK
    Hi I have a 9 weeks old Bantam Rhode Island Red, who has very odd looking feathers. They look almost slightly greasy (shiny) and the most of the feathers are all split? Otherwise healthy chick! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated! I am also posting this chick in Guess the Gender, I thought Hen but she's feisty, so maybe Roo??

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

That's a roo...

Not sure about the feathers though [​IMG]

ETA: The feathers are shiny because he is a roo [​IMG]

Just poor quality feathers. This happens before moult to mine.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

What kind of feed?

4. ccoomber

Aug 22, 2009
    Redhill, UK
    Quote:Organic growers pellets, she's only 10 weeks old. All the other chicks are normal looking? But different parents.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Organic growers pellets, she's only 10 weeks old. All the other chicks are normal looking? But different parents.

Why are you calling him a she? This is definitely a boy.

6. ChickensAreSweet

Well the feed sounds great...sorry then I have no advice!!!

7. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Definitely a rooster with normal shiny rooster feathers.

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Yup. That's a boy. And those feathers seem perfectly normal.

Good luck.

9. ccoomber

Aug 22, 2009
    Redhill, UK
    Quote:But the feathers are all split and Raggy?? Tis is my 4 year owning chickens and his feathers look so different from all my other chooks??

10. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:But the feathers are all split and Raggy?? Tis is my 4 year owning chickens and his feathers look so different from all my other chooks??

You know, I have to say that I had forgotten about a few chickens that I had bought and kept awhile that had that same look- the broody hen came with two chicks, and both the hen and one of the chicks had that "split feather" look. Maybe it is genetic?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by