What's wrong with her eye?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shady chickens, Jun 9, 2008.

1. shady chickens

shady chickens Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2007
    Vernon, NJ
    [​IMG]

I found my chicken looking like this today. It doesn't look like she got pecked or attacked in any way. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to help her?

Thanks

2. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I have one with an eye swollen shut, too. We've been calling ours "Elle Driver" after the Daryl Hannah character with an eye patch in "Kill Bill".

My philosophy with chickens is generally to leave them alone and they either get better or they don't.

3. dedern

dedern Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2008
    newtown,ct
    My 10 week old wellie looks the same. Started her on Terramycin in h2o and electrolytes

4. flip9109

flip9109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    had this a few weeks ago went through most of mine in a few days each. i put Terramycin in there water as well. seemed to do the trick.

5. Maggie3

Maggie3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Central Michigan
    When treating a chicken with Terramycin is it ok to eat their eggs?

6. flip9109

flip9109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    everything i read says no to eatting the eggs while treating with Terramycin.

7. dedern

dedern Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2008
    newtown,ct
    THERE ARE SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS ON THE PACK

8. shady chickens

shady chickens Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2007
    Vernon, NJ
    Thanks for the info. The eye is nearly swollen shut this morning. I will get some meds today, and maybe separate her so I know which eggs are hers!

9. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    My black cochin hen had the same thing and it took me forever to get rid of it.... teramycin didnt do it for me. Her eye was swollen shut and goopy so i got some ointment from my step mothers cat used for allergies (which was NOT reccomended by the vet) and cleaned her eye with a warm clean wash cloth every night for 2 weeks. I only used a tiny bit of the ointment around her eye for 2 days and that seemed to do the trick.

10. Rogue_Woman

Rogue_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    NC
    This went through most of my flock too, all but one recovered in a day. The one that didn't got the ax last night, she was in bad shape. Has anyone noticed diarrhea with this? Every single one of mine got a case of the runs with this, which stopped another day or two after their eyes cleared up. I sure would love to know what caused it, but I think illnesses in general are horrible this year with the nasty heat humidity and my god, the flies! I've been spending more time on integrated pest management than I've ever thought possible!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by