What's wrong with her vent? "PICS"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LuvBantums, Jul 15, 2019.

1. LuvBantums

LuvBantums Songster

Jul 7, 2017
    North Carolina
    This is one of my pullets that has not been feeling well and today I noticed she had matting around her vent so I gave her bath. Then I noticed this of her vent and panicked!! First after the bath I gave her an epsom salt soak with some electrolytes and now I'm going to try some yogurt (if I have any left). She could be laying by now, but not really sure. After I gave her the salt bath I noticed she still had all this around her vent. So, I soaked a rag with warm water at lightly pressed on her vent. It seems to be slow coming off, but I really need so help on this one. I'm going to continue with the warm compress because it seems to be working getting this stuff off. It also looks like liquid is oozing out after I use the warm compression. I'm so scared because I don't know how long she has been like this. We have had triple digits for the past 2 weeks with heat index and it's been so hard to keep my babies cool and myself. I feel like I let her down not noticing this sooner. Thank you for any help!!

Attached Files:

2. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    First of all, please don't beat yourself up for not noticing sooner. You noticed and that's what matters.

So far, you have been doing all the right things. Your instincts are terrific. There appears to be some blockage at the vent opening or it could be the vent is injured and now infected. I have a difficult time trying to make sense of what I'm seeing in photos since smell, feel, and real time observation play important supporting roles and are not possible from information in a simple photo.

Is there a bad odor? Is there any sign that she is leaking fluids from her vent? Is the vent pulsating/contracting? Is she pooping at all? If so, is it runny, solid, watery and white? Or is she not pooping at all?

Since her crop is at the beginning of her digestive track, what does it feel like? Full, empty, hard and lumpy, soft and spongy? Is she leaking fluid from her beak, especially after you try to handle her?

Sequel, micstrachan, Kris5902 and 2 others like this.
  3. LuvBantums

LuvBantums Songster

Jul 7, 2017
    North Carolina
    I'm going to answer a few questions now, because I know them. She is having some leakage from her vent and her beak does look like she has crusty stuff. She did poop a little but it's not solid (more watery) I see what looks like it could be grass? and it does have some white deposits. I can take a photo if you like. Thank you bunches!!

micstrachan and Kris5902 like this.
  4. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Look inside her mouth. It should be clean and pink inside. If there is any scummy stuff, we have a problem.

Is the grass you see actual bits or is it green poop you are really noticing?

It's very important you assess her crop. We need to know if it's full and if it's clogged with impacted material that would make it feel stuffed and hard. To verify, you need to withhold food and water until after you check the crop in the morning to see what condition you find it in - empty, full, etc.

Sequel, micstrachan and Kris5902 like this.
  5. LuvBantums

LuvBantums Songster

Jul 7, 2017
    North Carolina
    Her crop is empty and it's just the color green in her poop. I gave her another salt soak for about ten minutes and she seemed to relax, but she looks like she's going down. I will update you on her mouth in just a sec!! Thank you so much

Sequel and Kris5902 like this.
  6. LuvBantums

LuvBantums Songster

Jul 7, 2017
    North Carolina
    Her mouth is pink and I don't see anything alarming.

7. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Thanks for the important info. We can rule out a crop issue and possible constipation and a more serious viral infection.

I know this sounds perverse, but can you observe her vent for a few minutes? Is she dribbling white fluid out of her vent and staining the butt feathers chalky white? Is the vent pulsating in and out? Do you see any red tissue or blood?

Sequel, Kris5902 and LuvBantums like this.
  8. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I'm still pondering the photos trying to make some sense of what I'm seeing. It appears the vent is plugged. Is that what you see in real time? Is it solid material blocking the cloaca?

Sequel, Kris5902 and LuvBantums like this.
  9. LuvBantums

LuvBantums Songster

Jul 7, 2017
    North Carolina
    It's white chaulky but no blood. It's not pulsating.

10. LuvBantums

LuvBantums Songster

Jul 7, 2017
    North Carolina
    She's straining when she tries to poop. Her last poop was more solid but I feel I'm going to loose her if I don't do something soon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: