Whats wrong with her....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickyGirl12, Dec 5, 2014.

1. ChickyGirl12

ChickyGirl12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2014
    OK, so i have this chicken, and i accidentally stepped on her last week, I did not mean to but she weaved up in between my legs and almost tripped me, and i stepped on her. I know, i need to be more careful. But the real problem now is that she wont walk on her one leg and every time she takes a step, she stumbles and falls. I carry her to the food and water every day to let her eat and drink. She is still even laying eggs! She lays on on the floor of the coop every day. I would really feel bad if i had broken her leg. Ask questions if you need to. But does anyone have any idea what is wrong with her leg, or what to do?
    Thanks!

2. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    First of all, don't feel bad. I have stepped on my girls by accident a thousand times. They always want to swarm you hoping there are treats involved, and it is hard to walk lol. I always just take long, path clearing strides when that is going on to keep from tripping and trying to not kick or step on anyone.

Did you step right on her leg pretty good?

How ling ago was it?

Have you inspected her legs to see if there are any broken bones?

Maybe moved her leg around at each joint?

If it has just been a few days, maybe it is just sore and it will get better on its own. A bit ago one of my larger ladies was limping pretty bad. I didn't see what happened, but maybe jumping off somewhere and landing weird. I gave her a couple of days rest in a pet crate that I made comfy with hay and food and water. After a couple of days rest she was good as new.

3. ChickyGirl12

ChickyGirl12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2014
    katelk, I have checked her leg for broken bones, as far as I can tell there are none.
    It has been about 3-4 days ago.
    I am not quite sure if I stepped directly on it or if it was just a toe, but from the way shes walking I think I stepped on her leg.
    And i looked at her joints, they are moving fine.
    The part of her foot that is connected to the leg (I don't know if chickens have ankles or not) looks swollen and biggish.

4. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN

I would just make her a comfortable spot in a crate and let her rest it. If it hasn't improved at all after a week, maybe call a livestock vet? Usually resting it will help it heal very quickly if nothing is broken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by