what's wrong with his feather's?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hchorselover, Oct 30, 2010.

1. hchorselover

hchorselover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    What's wrong with his feathers? The pictures don't make them look as bad as they really are but his whole neck looks like this. Does it look like somebody has been pecking them off [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

his normal feathers

[​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

It looks like they are new feathers and still have the waxy sheath covering them. It should come off naturally and look perfectly normal soon.

Imp

3. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Yes, those are new feathers growing in. He may be molting, to have that many all in one place.

4. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    New growth.... Feather casings still in place... Congrats on the molt.

5. allison finch

allison finch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Yep, molting. Several of my girls are downright motheaten looking. Some have big bare patches with pen feathers growing in. I am closing up their coop tomorrow as it is getting into the 40's at night and am worried about their comfort.

6. hchorselover

Jul 29, 2010
    ? How old do they molt because he's only about 4 months old. I thought they had to be a lot older...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  7. hchorselover

Jul 29, 2010
    anyone?

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Molting is influenced by time of year and shortening day length- not the only factor, but the major one. He is molting and at his age I would increase his protein intake by adding a high protein food source since he is also still growing.

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Typically it's the fall after the first year. But chickens will also molt after being broody, when they've gone through some type of change in their environment, etc. To me, new feather growth looks like porcupine quills...ouch! You'll find dandruff looking stuff in his feathers and under his roosting spot most likely too, as that plasticish coating begins flaking off so the new feathers can open up...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by