what's wrong with his/her wing?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kaybats, Oct 24, 2011.

1. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    and what can/should I do? Please help. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Looks like angle wing and from all I've read if they are adults there isn't anything to be done. except clip the feathers to keep them from catching them on things.

3. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:Looks like angle wing and from all I've read if they are adults there isn't anything to be done. except clip the feathers to keep them from catching them on things.

They are almost 4 months old. Can I fix it at this age? Will it hurt him if I have to clip? [​IMG]

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    They are too old to fix it, and ou can't clip it off entirely either though. You can clip like you would to prevent flight, which will keep it fom rubbing and getting caught on things.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Thats what I meant, thanks FL for clearing that up.

6. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] Yikes! I was afraid that was going to be the answer [​IMG] I haven't a clue how to do that. I just read on another thread about someone getting some "bad" advice on the internet, so, that being said....Does anyone know of a reliable source for me to get information on this?

Thanks so much for all your help.

7. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    I have a Mallard or Call that has angel wing on one side...it doesn't bother them at all......he can't fly, but I don't think he realizes he SHOULD be able to. Angel wing doesn't look all that great, but it won't hurt them.

You can see him in the front hereA;

[​IMG]

8. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:I see it. OK.

Can I ask you something off topic, or do I need to start a new thread? It's about your pond.

9. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Angel wing has to be fixed when the duck is young, yours are too old now. You can clip the feathers but be careful about them bleeding too much, the one time I had to do it I made sure to have a container of flour with me to sprinkle on the end of the feather shaft thing to stop the bleeding. Angel wing is sometimes a genetic defect so I wouldn't breed a bird with it.

10. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    I looked at a few pages to find pictures and directions that make sense to me and are clear. This one looks pretty clear. I'd do the full trim to remove the part of the long flight feathers that are past the coverts. (As in #3) This will take off the part of the wing feathers that hang out and may catch on things and it is safe and looks good. Take a look and don't do this when your bird is molting - you don't want to cut the new growing feathers, which will be a fat shaft without a feather on it yet, the shaft will be colored (it has blood in it) rather than being white and hollow. The white hollow shafts are safe to cut.

http://www.cornerstonefarm.net/wingdemo.html

Don't pinion the bird - that is to remove the last joint of the bone inside the wing. This is done on little babies, I would have a really hard time doing this at all. Trimming the long wing feathers off should be no problem if you pay attention not to cut blood feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by