What's wrong with his leg?

CandiceJ

Chirping
Oct 27, 2017
20190422_165344.jpg
20190422_165410.jpg
Anyone know what could be wrong with this poor babies leg? He/she will be 2 weeks tomorrow. I though he was maybe splay legged when he first hatched and did the appropriate fix for his legs but after a week it seems just this leg one leg is kicked out to the side and seems to have a knot on his joint. What could this be? Can I fix it?

It could be slipped tendon. I that a yellow scab or pus on an injury on the leg? You will need to treat that sore as it may already be infected if that's what it is and not food.

To treat slipped tendon, hold your left hand out, palm up, fingers toward the right, in front of your chest. Lay the chick's belly in your left hand, feet pointing back toward your body, overhanging your pinky finger/palm. Grasp the feet and legs between your right thumb and forefinger. Slowly lower your left hand and let the bird dangle for just a few seconds. Twist your wrist outward, and the bird's reaction should be to lift its head/chest/body upward toward your hand. When it does, you can re-grab the body with your other hand. This will sometimes "reset" a slipped hip or knee joint.

Here is more on slipped tendon. ttps://www.chickenheavenonearth.com/slipped-tendon-in-baby-chicks-leg-what-you-can-do-to-help-chicken-heaven-on-earth.html

For it to heal and not slip back right away, it would help to rig up a "chick chair" to keep weight off the leg for a couple days.

Here are some examples of chick and chicken chairs posted a year ago by @Eggcessive who says,
"I would only leave the chick in there for a few hours at a time. They can struggle to get out, and can get hurt, so keep an eye on them. Place food and water close enough to reach. Here are a bunch of homemade chairs and slings".

6612_chick_chair.jpg
d5c2b968713259922930a7ca27c5a288.jpg
0fc3977125679ff97e41196d94cdfb6b.jpg
LL
22744ff00561ebc42bf04d218b7befbf.jpg
ade38aaeeabd94d8a9675babe7b42d0b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom