What's wrong with my baby chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by feathers_3, Mar 28, 2012.

1. feathers_3

feathers_3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Eastern NC
    Please help!! My baby has something going on with its rear end and its not the vent...

its eating and drinking but is weak and wobbly.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Did you hatch it yourself?It appears to be part of it's yolk not absorbed....can you get a picture of the whole chick?

3. feathers_3

May 18, 2011
    Eastern NC
    I believe you are right. My uncle hatched them and they hatched 4 days ago. I just took it to my grandmother who used to run a hatchery and that's what she said it is. I have not noticed it until today though. Will this heal up? It's tearing up my nerves.

4. 2overeasy

2overeasy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    I'm bumping for you (and for me). I posted on the same thing earlier today and didn't get any responses. I wouldn't think it would still be yolk sac but I don't know. I've read volumes on here about pasty butt, prolapse, etc before I even posted. I hope you (we!) get an answer! My babies are still holding on ,eating a little, drinking a little...

5. feathers_3

May 18, 2011
    Eastern NC
    I'm still not sure either because I just noticed it today and I check on the babies frequently and I have had them since Sunday. It looks to me like it is getting worse and getting bigger. I separated it because I was afraid the others would peck at it even though they haven't been. But mine is eating and drinking too but has been sleeping a lot more than usual. I hope we can find something out!

6. 2overeasy

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    I had to separate mine, too, and I hated to do that. But at least there's two of them so they are not alone, you know?

7. feathers_3

May 18, 2011
    Eastern NC
    Yeah, my little one seems lonely. It won't do anything but sleep now, but maybe it's the time of day because it's getting dark here. It wont eat or drink now...

It just looks so sad and its peep is kind of weak. All I know to do is put neosporin on it.

8. feathers_3

May 18, 2011
    Eastern NC
    If a chick has an unabsorbed yolk will it live? My chick is looking pretty droopy.

9. 2overeasy

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    Don't use neosporin! Use preparation H instead, or just a little olive oil. The antibiotic won't be good for it. Well, I know that much anyway! ;-)

10. feathers_3

May 18, 2011
    Eastern NC
    Ok. I'll scratch that idea lol. It's back to eating again and is a little more peppy now. Maybe there's hope!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by