What's wrong with my best layer?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by campingshaws, Nov 6, 2014.

1. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    There was a scuffle in the coop this morning and I looked in and just saw some pecking and chest bumping with my RIWs. I figured it was a pecking order squabble. When I came back home my best layer looked like this:

[​IMG]

She is the highest ranking hen, and was fine yesterday. Is she egg bound?

2. campingshaws

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    She stood like that for two hours, so I brought her in and she's soaking in an Epsom salt bath right now. I have a laundry basket with a heating pad set up for her, and I'm going to give her a crushed tums.

It looks like coccidiosis, but I treated for that recently. I guess mixing corrid into her water wouldn't hurt.

3. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    I have found that some chickens will "squabble, bump and peck" with others that are sick. One of my top hens got picked on pretty bad when she got sick. It happened really quick. One day everything was fine, then the next day, they all started chasing her off. I'm not sure what's wrong with your girl, but it's a good idea that you've separated her from the others. How is she now, after the soak? I would also start her on vitamins and electrolytes ASAP. What does her poop look like? Does she appear to have a prolapse or egg bound? Does she have any eye or nose drainage? Is she eating and drinking?

4. campingshaws

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana

She looks the same. Same hunched posture and everything. I massaged her abdomen in the bath and thought I felt an egg, but after another internal exam I still can't find one. She pooped in the water, and it looked fairly normal (for being poop in water).

No eye or nose drainage; there's a tiny blood smear on her beak near her comb, but I think it's from being pecked.

Not eating or drinking. I got her to drink about half a tablespoon of water with a tums crushed in it.

My chicken fund is tapped and I'm not able to buy anything else right now. So, I've got her warm and as comfortable as I'm able. :(

5. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    In that case, do you have any Gatorade? You can give that diluted with water. 50/50
    Or Pedialyte?
    Electrolytes affect and regulate the hydration of the body, blood pH, and are critical for nerve and muscle function. If she is dehydrated, she will feel worse and could complicate her condition. Electrolytes can be given in the water dish or by droplets dripped on top of the beak. Reflex will cause them to catch the droplets with their tongue. Some will even drink the
    droplets from the tip of the syringe.

Have you checked her crop?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  6. campingshaws

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana

Her crop feels empty. I'll try to get the Gatorade. Thanks. :)

7. campingshaws

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    Update for poop:

[​IMG]

This looks EXACTLY like my last hen with coccidiosis. The next syringe of water I give her will have corid in it. She pecked a bit at the food, so I think I can entice her into eating more. And she was completely off the heating pad, so I took it out. She's in the bathroom with the heater on.

8. campingshaws

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    [​IMG]

She finally looks comfortable. I turned off the bathroom heater because she was panting a bit, even though I still found it cool.

9. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Is that fowl pox on her comb?

10. campingshaws

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana

Yes, my whole flock (15) has it. The RIWs have the mildest cases, I'm assuming because they sleep in a different coop. The RIW are about two weeks in. I've got more severe cases in my main flock, and a whole separate thread for them. :(

My roo was patient zero, and he finally perked back up a few days ago. So I'm hoping the we're in the worst of it and will soon be finished.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by