What's wrong with my Chick 2? (reposted from Raising Baby Chicks)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brownfarms, Jun 25, 2008.

1. brownfarms

brownfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    I'm sorry the other poster lost their chick and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that mine doesn't find the same fate. "Scrappy" as I've named her doesn't walk so much as stumble around. She seems to be very alert at times but also likes to sleep. Her 32 chickmates like to peck at her and climb all over her. I've included pics from this morning but now she has a sore pecked at toe that we put a topical on. Is this a runt or a foot prob? Should i isolate? One pic is of Scrappy attempting to walk and the other is just a nice pic of her (she's on the right...so cute)[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She is 6 days old, purchased from McMurray with 33 others!

2. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

yes i would isolate her , make sure she has heat food and water .
    is she eating and drinking ?
    have u given sugar water or electrolytes?
    also , it is better to keep them off wire unttil they are older , put her onto some soft like paper towels .
    hopefully oter more knowledgeable people will answer soon.

3. brownfarms

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    Interesting about the wire. We've raised all our chickens on wire. What is considered an appropriate age?

She is eating and drinking on her own when she stumbles over there.

Could this be Rickets? I was just reading up on it.

4. brownfarms

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    Also, they are all getting the vitamins in their water. If I get Poly vi sol how much do I give her?

5. brownfarms

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    Last question....

I have Quik Chik from McMurray that came with the chicks. If I want to give her a more concentrated dose of this stuff, does anyone know how much to give? The recommended dosage for the flock is 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. If I was going to give her a dropper full three times a day what would be appropriate?

6. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Quote:re the polyvisol dosage> three drops in beak once a day for a week.
    Last question....

I have Quik Chik from McMurray that came with the chicks. If I want to give her a more concentrated dose of this stuff, does anyone know how much to give? The recommended dosage for the flock is 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. If I was going to give her a dropper full three times a day what would be appropriate?

No...do not concentrate the dose but follow the dosage instructions exactly (it is electrolytes >too much will damage the kidneys)
    http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/quik_chik.html

...you can do both > the quick chic and the polyvisol. I think you will find once you have separated it from the others and it no longer has to battle for a drink and feed it should perk up quite nicely.​

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  7. brownfarms

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    Ah...perfect..thanks.

8. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

do a search for spradleleg or curly toes and see if that may be what you have ?
    there are a lot of post about that.
    might help?

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Awww I would put them all on paper towel. Wire has to be uncomfortable for the little babies.

10. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

In large breed dogs there is a leg problem called HOD and when I got my chicks from our local elementary school hatch just prior to school being let out for the summer, two chicks legs were giving them problems walking and standing. They couldn't. I restricted feed overnight and free fed daily, gave them more room for exercise and at first they used their wings and walked on their knees. I was told my more than one person to put the two chicks out of their misery but now have two healthy and very beautiful Blue Lace Red Wyandottes, a young cockerel and a young pullet. That breed is next on the list for when I don't have so many... I think rickets may be involved and/or HOD and this is also (unless it involves the hip socket) is what is happening to Cornish cross chicks. Of course I am only a very very newbie to chickens but the experience of dogs showing w/chickens is very interesting as I'm taking veterinary assistant classes in winter in my middle age (53 yrs).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by