What's wrong with my Chick 2?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by brownfarms, Jun 24, 2008.

1. brownfarms

brownfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    I'm sorry the other poster lost their chick and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that mine doesn't find the same fate. "Scrappy" as I've named her doesn't walk so much as stumble around. She seems to be very alert at times but also likes to sleep. Her 32 chickmates like to peck at her and climb all over her. I've included pics from this morning but now she has a sore pecked at toe that we put a topical on. Is this a runt or a foot prob? Should i isolate? One pic is of Scrappy attempting to walk and the other is just a nice pic of her (she's on the right...so cute)[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    OMG your chicks are so cute! You may get more of a response in the "Emergencies" area. Until then, posting to bump this up. [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd isolate if possible but I doubt this one will last long.... almost looks disabled.

4. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Not sure if i am late to answer or post but does it have spraddle leg? usually from not having grip to stand on but also common when they hatch?Anyway if it is spraddle leg you can fix that by putting a band-aid around the chicks legs and leaving the space of the gauze bteween so that the chick can still walk or get around. i have done it with two of my chicks and after they looked strong enough i removed them and they are fine now but i did have to separate them from the brooder, i also had one drown because it got stuck in the waterer so there is still a risk.

5. brownfarms

brownfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    I was reading about spraddle legs and it didn't act like that. She died this morning [​IMG] Thanks for your post though!

6. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    Oh I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG] I know it was prob inevitable but it doesn't make it any less sad for us humans.

Take good care and focus on the others you have. [​IMG]

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Those chicks need to be up off that wire floor. It is not good for their feet and legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by