What's wrong with my Chick!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by renzrazz, Nov 16, 2014.

1. renzrazz

renzrazz New Egg

Nov 16, 2014
    From about a week on, most of my barred rock chicks kept getting recurring pasty butt, I was staying on top of it until I was away for a day and came back and one little girl had a big blocked vent. I cleared it up and she was pretty weak, I gave her some electolyte, her own space and she bounced back fairly quickly for a couple days before getting really weak and lethargic and after a few days passed away around the end of week 3.

Just before the chick died, I was sitting beside them watching her and in a matter of a couple minutes i had my back turned only to look back find another little one with head in water dish looking like she drowned. (i have one of those standard red watering jugs but it was right beside the wire cage their food was slightly raised on and i thought maybe she just tripped off the back and fell in the water.) I separated the food from the water and i should of done more because a couple days later another was dead with her head in the little water trough. It was devastating, I was down to 3 chicks.

I thought I was fine know then middle of week 4 I wake up one more has pasty butt, I clear it up, set him down and he just collapses and dies. And i can see another guy is looking super weak not eating and drinking. By now i'm thinking coccidiosis. The only medication around is mail order and will take over a week to arrive. I nurse and hand feed him for a few days. The last day he's still constantly falling asleep and then almost spasms and wakes up, before he finally spasmed a last time and didn't wake. That was early last week.

Now I got 1 scissor beak girl left she's not very energetic and hasn't been all week, she has an appetite and eats and drinks (although sometimes i feel like she's not drinking so i dip her beak in to give her water and she sits there for a couple minutes drinking more, doesn't seem to have a problem eating though) She always sleeps with her head down and butt up. Her feathers are ruffled, sometimes she even falls asleep mid eating with her face in the bowl. When she's just standing alone her head is always lowered as well.

While coccidiosis was my guess, there's been no blood in any poo, in face the only abnormal poos were the sick ones that had passed but they weren't eating so it was typically just real watery and sometimes partly solid when i could hand feed them.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Welcome to BYC!!

First a few questions to try to figure this out.

What are you feeding them?

Do you have them under a heat light?

What is the temp?

How old are they now?

If I read correctly, you only have one left and she has scissor beak...Correct? If this is correct, she will appear to eat and drink much more than the others would have. Reason being is that the food/drink falls back out of the beak. Mine would stay up all night while the other chicks were sleeping. She basically suffered for a few months. I had to clear the food out of her beak many times. I made provisions for her, elevated her food and water, put her in her own cage, etc. I was very hopeful for her and it broke my heart when we had to make the decision to cull her. Hopefully yours doesn't come to that. My chick's condition got worse & worse.

But 1st we need to figure out what happened to the others. When I have chicks, there waterer is a red plastic attachment that you put onto a canning jar. I put marbles/stones in it so they don't drown. I lost 2 one time by way of drowning before I put the marbles in it. Lots of lessons learned[​IMG]. Hope this info helps.

3. renzrazz

renzrazz New Egg

Nov 16, 2014
    They are on a whole grain chick starter and some worms and tiny amount of greens once and awhile.

She is under a heat lamp at about 25 degrees (around 75)

She's around 5 weeks i sometimes clear the food out of the bottom of her beak as well, other than that when she eats and drinks she doesn't seem to have a problem. And after the second what looked like drowning, I've since put rocks in the water as well.

I do have 5 new week olds, but i'm cautious about introducing them to the lone survivor so far.

4. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I only feed my chicks "chick starter" until they are around 2 months old. Then (weather permitted), they are introduced to grass and free ranging. I buy the medicated chick starter, but that is a personal choice. I hatch out my own mostly, but do purchase some to get new breeds in the flock. The ones I hatch out, their 1st meal is smashed up boiled eggs-from then on, it is chick starter until they are 4-5 months old-then layer crumbles. I have lost very few chicks.

After I move mine from incubator (99.9F degrees) I put them under a brooder bulb. They are kept somewhere at 95-99F for the 1st week, then I gradually reduce the temp until it is the same as the outside temp. I think 75F is not nearly high enough unless she is fully feathered (no down feathers).

Do you have them in a brooder box?

Good move on placing the rocks in the water. Raising chickens is definitely a learning experience. No one in my family ever had chickens, so when I got mine, I was basically on my own. I have learned TONS from BYC. [​IMG] And from trial and error.

5. renzrazz

renzrazz New Egg

Nov 16, 2014
    she's pretty much fully feathered in a brooder and when i lower it she's always sleeping outside of the light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by