What's Wrong with my Chicken??!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Vermillion1, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Vermillion1

Vermillion1 New Egg

Nov 16, 2016
    Hey!

Thanks in advance for your advice! My chicken, Big Mama started showing some signs of discomfort two days ago. She is roughly 1.5 years old. We noticed while she was outside her tail was drooping and she seemed to be slightly limping on one leg. We did a quick inspection but everything seemed to be okay. That night, when we went to lock our 3 chickens up, she was sleeping on a second perch all by herself which is odd behavior. Instead of waking her up, the next morning we let her out and after doing some research online we thought she might be egg-bound. Afterwork, I headed to grab some calcium and a heat lamp from the store because its beginning to get cold. When I got home we inspected her again and she was outside of the coop moving slower than normal and her wing seemed to be hanging a tad bit lower than the other one. So we did a very thorough inspection and felt up and down her legs - it didn't seem to be broke - her wing didn't seem to be broken either. We felt lightly for maybe an egg that she couldn't pass but felt nothing there either. Under her wing, it looks as if maybe she got caught on something and was struggling to get loose? Some of her feathers are missing but there is absolutely no blood. There is a little bit of darker yellow color the the color of yellow-squash where maybe some of her feathers were yanked out or maybe her skin is bruising? I tried to find some pictures online of chicken-bruising but all the photos are showing really dark black bruises or fried chicken wings.

The pictures attached are the healthy wing and the wing that seems to be bruising or... I don't know! Please address!!

E-mail : [email protected]

Thanks,
    Emily

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Healthy Below
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The spots look possibly like ingrown feathers, which sometimes can be infected forming cysts filled with yelow solid pus. The problem with her limping on one leg and the lower held wing may be significant, or from an injury. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Has she recently molted, since that can happen around the age she is now? Mareks disease can cause paralysis in one or both wings or legs, and many other symptoms, including skin tumors which can vary in appearance. Hopefully, she is just limping from an injury, and possibly has an ingrown feather. I would make sure that she is eating and drinking enough, and can reach her food and water.

3. Vermillion1

Vermillion1 New Egg

Nov 16, 2016
    Thanks so much for responding!! My chickens have not been vaccinated. I did read online that Merek's disease is really common in flocks but more so in large numbers. She hasn't recently molted. One of her wing feathers JUST ONE appears to be growing upsidedown... but it may just be if she got caught on something? She definitely is eating... and I haven't seen her drink anything but I have been at work. I'll make sure she is drinking in the morning. Merek's disease also says that she will lose weight rapidly and have no appetite... so hopefully this isn't what it is. If it is a cyst or a puss-pocket from an infection how do you suggest that I move forward from here?? I won't give her any anti-biotics but maybe an herbal alternative? Maybe put some sort of anti-bacterial wash on the "infected" area.... If the spots are ingrown feathers... suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by