Whats wrong with my chicken??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oaktrailfarm, Jun 13, 2011.

1. oaktrailfarm

oaktrailfarm New Egg

Jun 13, 2011
    My young silkie rooster (13 weeks) is tucking his head underneath his body and he seems to get stuck like that. Running backwards, seems like some neurological thing... All the rest of the chickens are fine. It's just him.

2. XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX

XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Michigan
    The poor thing has a condition called wry-neck, a brain damage highly common to silkies. Silkes have crests due to the brain being exposed on the top of their head. One big bump and it does this. I know there are some things you can do to help, but it will take a while. We had to put down a hen from that. Ill post more info when I can find it [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1076331

http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=emergencies&action=display&num=1160928615

Good luck with your rooster.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  3. Telamon

Telamon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    I have no idea.
    MAN your smart... [​IMG]

anyways, does this happen to ALL silkies?

4. XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX

Jun 4, 2011
    Michigan
    Well, it mostly depends on genetics, but silkies and polish have vaulted skulls, meaning it has open spaces. If hit just right, it can cause this. But all breeds can get wry neck, silkies are just more susceptible to it because of their skull structure.

So crossbreeds and non pure-bred are less likely to inherit vaulted skulls.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  5. oaktrailfarm

oaktrailfarm New Egg

Jun 13, 2011
    Aw, Man! Do you think he can come out of it? Been two days of this now. This morning his head was in the water dish (thought maybe he was trying to commit suicide). Pulled him out, brought his head back up, he ate a few bites from his food dish and then boom, his head flipped back underneath him. He is locked in a cage to try to prevent further damage and to keep anyone from picking on him. How long will it take for him to pull out of it if he can?

6. XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX

Jun 4, 2011
    Michigan
    It can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, some never fully recover. I'm sorry. [​IMG]

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Do a search hear on BYC under that topic (see SEARCH tab above) and you will find a lot of info. I hope the little guy will be okay [​IMG]
    JJ

8. oaktrailfarm

oaktrailfarm New Egg

Jun 13, 2011
    Thanks so much for your input. Keep you posted!

9. chickenfeverforever

chickenfeverforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    I had both a Silkie/frizzle chick with this condition along with a mutt chick. The mutt got better with vitamins within 2-3 weeks. He/she is 100% fine now. As for the Silkie/Frizzle he/she is now roughly 5 weeks old and still has issues from time to time. Sometimes he/she will be fine and other times he will be spinning around in circles. I am not 100% sure he he will make a full recovery, but is doing so much better. He/she was stuck like that for a couple weeks so I am seeing progress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by