1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's wrong with my chicken's comb!!?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MyPetNugget, Feb 22, 2014.

1. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

I went in the coop to collect eggs and I saw oreo with a black spotted comb. I took a picture:[​IMG]
    It looks a little worse on the other side but she wouldn't let me take her picture. Does anybody know what this is? Any help would really be appreciated.

2. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    Has it been cold? Could it be frostbite?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like pecking injury, but it you start seeing brown or tan, it may be frostbite.

4. MyPetNugget

She and the rest of the chickens have been in 16 to 50 degree weather in the past week. I have seen the same blackish coloring on some of the other 'bigger combed' chickens this afternoon. This is their first winter and they just started laying. How do you treat frostbite?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  6. MyPetNugget

Thanks so much eggcesive! I will try to get neosprin for them. And yes some of them have that tan color just like in the picture. thanks for the links!

7. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Looks alot like frostbite. Apply vasoline to her each night until it heals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by