What's wrong with my chickens face?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Spyderk117, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Spyderk117

Spyderk117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Hi!
    So today my sister found one of my Mom's hens with a injury on her face or ear, not sure? I think one of the roosters did it.
    Here are a few pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

@Alexandra33 Would you know what's wrong?

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

You answered your own question I think...Randy Rooster....Not much you can do other than take her out or remove the Rooster?

3. Spyderk117

Mar 18, 2016
    Wisconsin
    I think so too.[​IMG] Any idea on to help it heal?

4. chickens really

If you plan to leave her out in the run or what ever? By Blu-kote spray so the other birds do not peck the red bloody area...Chickens love red/blood...Why feeders and waterers are usually red to attract them to eat or drink...

5. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ugh, that looks like it hurts! [​IMG] Poor girl. I wouldn't automatically blame the roos, to be honest, since other hens can be equally as brutal. [​IMG] In fact, our cockerels get chucks of wattle and comb ripped out on a regular basis.....just because the girls hate them! [​IMG]

I agree it would be best to use a little Blue Kote (if you have some) to cover up that area, and maybe disinfect with Vetericyn first? Hope she heals up soon!

~Alex

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. Spyderk117

Mar 18, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Okay thank you!
    Yes it does look pretty bad! Oh, poor guys! I do not have Blue Kote right now, but I can buy some.
    Thanks you!

7. chickens really

You can also use use blue icing dye in a pinch....Until you can go buy the blu-kote spray....

8. Spyderk117

Mar 18, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Okay thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by