What's wrong with my chick's legs?!?!?!?!??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenanneray, Jun 24, 2011.

1. jenanneray

jenanneray Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    This chick is 2 weeks old. He hatched fine, his legs were straight, walking correctly and now has seemed to develop some very strange legs. The chicks are on a thick layer of pine straw and are fed chick crumbles. Out of three this is the only one that is having this issue. Here are some pictures, sorry about the quality, they were taken on my cell phone.
    from the front, please notice the bent toe on the right foot as well:
    [​IMG]

back:
    [​IMG]

front again:
    [​IMG]

It looks painful for the baby to walk, he hobbles and uses his wings for balance. He's the largest of the chicks, and has not been picked on. I want to avoid removing him from the others if possible, the others cry when one is taken out of the brooder box for something.

Help??

(edited to correct typo on age...hatch date was June 9th.)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  2. XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX

XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Michigan
    Looks like a case of straddle leg. try here....
    http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html
    never had it happen with my chicks. If you have a slippery floor, it might help to give it foam matting (like a yoga mat) so it can get traction.

also try adding poli-vi-sol to their water. May help it get stronger.

good luck!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  3. jenanneray

jenanneray Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    The baby's legs don't go out from under him like they are showing on that web site. I'm thinking I would need a brace to push the legs apart and straighten them so the knees would not be touching each other, but not sure what I would use to help him.

4. XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX

XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Michigan
    That is just an extreme case, but I do see what you mean...This may also be a malformation, all you can do is try to straighten them with braces and hope for the best. Maybe cut Popsicle sticks on either side and bandaged like a finger cast?

Either way, weak chicks do often get better when fed Poli-vi-sol

5. CYGChickies

CYGChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
  6. priola29

priola29 New Egg

May 23, 2013
    My 2 week old buff brahma looks exactly the same. Took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with fowl cholera and put on tetracycline. Put the rest of the flock on it as a preventative. I was told the leg would never improve but medication would keep it from getting worse. Would love an update on what happened with your bird.
    Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by