What's wrong with my chicks legs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CocoPopz, Jan 13, 2015.

1. CocoPopz

CocoPopz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    I did originally band the legs together, I don't like it and it looked worse, so I stopped after like 7 hour, my chick has a curled foot/bent toes. I wouldn't say her legs splay out to the side or back, but it's as if she's leaning towards her left side, not straightening out her foot so she rolls onto her back?
    Here pictures when she's not long since hatched, obviously I thought it was because she had just hatched but I could tell something wasn't right. I've gave her a couple of drops of multi chick vits. She's been hatched now for 20 hours.
    Some pictures before
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I've now resulted in a tube, padded, she's in it, quite comfortably, her legs are pushed close enough together and dangle at the bottom. Will this work? Is it even her legs? Should I just make her a sandal over the next few days? I don't know what to do, help me!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/51112/chick-with-curled-toes

^ Here is the thread about curled toes. You can make a little boot for her with cardboard and a band aid. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/41693/spraddle-leg-splay-leg-treatment-instructions

^ Here is the thread about splayed leg.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/103194/chick-physical-therapy-sling

^ Here is the thread about a chick sling.

While your chick may not be "splayed leg," she appears to be struggling to keep her legs under her, which is preventing her from building strength... She needs to flop around for a while after she hatches to get her legs under her.

I don't know how dedicated you are to this little chick, but your case may require construction of a sling, taping the legs, AND making a boot. She needs to strengthen her legs, so she can walk. It will require therapy.

I'd remove her from the tube, put her someplace warm in a brooder away from other chicks, and make sure she's eating and drinking properly within 3 days of her hatching. Sometimes, they just take a little longer to get strong enough to make it. :)

You're on the right track with the electrolytes and doing great!

MrsB

3. CocoPopz

CocoPopz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    Thank you for your help, I removed the tube, and just used a band to tie brig her legs together, although I've noticed it's still not tight enough an doesn't bring her legs in close enough, it's as if her left leg doesn't want to go along with her other leg, although after a few hours of having band legs, she standing more upright, her right foot is on the floor but she uses her hock to balance on her left. I'm not worrying about the sling much yet, going to see what this brings in 24 hours. She's also had a nibble at some food and drops of vit water. All she cares about is bing warm and sleeping haha, i hope I get there with her, I might try make a sling tomorrow (she will be 3 days old) If I think she needs it. Thanks
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by