whats wrong with my chicks!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by teresa42299, Aug 12, 2013.

1. teresa42299

teresa42299 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2013
    please help. my chicks keep dying. they have their heads back and open and close their little beaks like their trying to chirp.whats wrong with them. please answer withing the next hour. I have five like that right now! how can I save my biddies?

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How old are chicks,what are you feeding them,if anything other than chick feed,they need grit. If in brooder,what is the temp? What other symptoms are there besides the ones you mentioned?

3. teresa42299

Apr 25, 2013
    the chicks are about 1-2 weeks.we are feeding them durina chick starter and grower. they lay on their sides and seems off balance.

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Are you feeding them anything else? How is their poop? Do they have poop stuck to their butts? Are they eating/drinking? Have you looked at information for Coccidiosis? Some symptoms are runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which of the 9 strains it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking properly,weight loss. If symptoms match purchase Corid(amprolium)dose for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 3/4 tsp per gallon of water(this may increased to almost 1 tsp(.92 tsp)this is severe outbreak dose. Treat ALL chicks for 5 days,do not give vitamins during treatment(interferes with medication)give vitamins after treatment is complete.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  5. teresa42299

Apr 25, 2013
    we are just feeding that . we did that with all of our previous chicks and they did well. they have no poop stuck to their butts. they are eating and drinking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by