1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's wrong with my duck? please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by olp_63, Aug 9, 2008.

1. olp_63

olp_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

About a half an hour ago I noticed that my 1.5 year old Pekin duck was favoring her right leg. She was holding it high up off the ground like chickens do sometimes when they rest. I walked over to her and she put her foot down and walked away. Then, a few minutes later, I saw her holding her foot up again. I looked at the bottom of her foot and saw a large blister-type "growth" on her foot. That's what it looked like, a blister.

I searched this in previous posts and saw that some people had problems with "bumblefoot". But the pictures I saw of bumblefoot were not anything like my duck's condition.

I can't post pics, but I can describe it. It doesn't look like a bubble or a balloon. It's flat on top and looks like a cross between a blister and a caliss. (you know, like the things you get on your hands and fingers from using them often).

I really want to help her, but honestly, I have NO idea what to do. I'd appreciate any help I can get...

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    could she have burned it???? has she been near anything hot she could've walked on?

3. olp_63

Quote:We don't have anything hot around our yard. But the ducks do free range ALL day. She could have stepped on anything....

4. olp_63

Is it possible that she's just getting blisters from walking around ALL day long?

5. karanleaf

karanleaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    Glenwood, Missouri
    Is it possable she got stung by a bee or ground hornet?

6. olp_63

Quote:definitely

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    maybe get out a magnifying glass and take a good hard look to see if there is a stinger like mentioned or if there is any tiny item in her foot.

maybe a little aloe or neosporin and a little kiss to make it better.

8. karanleaf

karanleaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    Glenwood, Missouri
    I googled duck foot problems they do not suggest putting any type of ointment on a ducks foot just to make sure they are clean using water. And that if it does not improve then to contact a vet.

9. olp_63

Quote:thanks, that's exactly what I'll do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by