What's wrong with my duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SycolinWoodsChickens, Nov 23, 2011.

1. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I thought I'd post this here because I want answers from people who raise ducks...

We have a Pekin that was hatched in July. She started laying, was healthy and split her time between the existing duck flock and the chickens who hatched her.[​IMG]

In the past 10 days she is spending a lot of time just sitting around with her tail moving up and down non-stop. We have picked her up and checked her and cannot see any signs of internal laying (not that I have any experience with that). She is eating but not spending a lot of time running around with either the ducks or chickens.

I'm thinking about bringing her in the house and putting her in a large dog crate (with straw) and watching her for a few days. I'd like to see if she is laying and give her some supplements.

Any other suggestions on what we could do for her or what might be wrong with her? I've read all of my duck books and can't figure this out.

2. LLCoyote

LLCoyote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Maybe a stuck egg or an infection? I'd say you're on the right track keeping her for observation. I've heard that time in a clear warm tub, can help relax and help some issues. If not I'd say a vet is your best bet

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I agree let her swim in the bath tub in some warm water as long as she'll stay, it does help relax them, think babies being born under water. Are you feeding her laying pellets with oyster shell on the side? sounds like she may be getting ready to start to lay if hatched in July.Also may want to give her something like Nutri Drench heres a link to info on it, please let us know how she is.. http://barnyardsandbackyards.org/2010/09/18/review-nutri-drench/

4. SycolinWoodsChickens

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for your responses.

She is getting Flock Raiser (I've got a turkey and chickens in with the ducks). They have free access to oyster shell and grit. I actually think she has laid a few eggs and I know the drake has bred her - although she prefers to flirt with my roosters.

Anyway, I will bring her in tomorrow morning and fill up the tub. I'll check back here to see if anyone has any other advice and I'll give updates.

Oh, and I have NutriDrench and a vitamin/electrolyte solution and I'll make sure she gets some of that too.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I second the warm bath idea, and the Nutri-drench. Ducks can hide not feeling well for a long time, so if you have a vet you can check in with, you might think about that. My runners do what I understand you're describing if they're getting ready to pass an egg, usually one that's early (as in, the afternoon, and usually with a very thin shell).

How is she otherwise? Does she get up and move around at all?

6. SycolinWoodsChickens

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Update on my duck.

Our sick duck has been living in the house in a large dog kennel for 4 days now. She has not layed an egg. She is eating and walking and drinkng water and quacking. She is still moving her tail constantly. The only other thing that seems wrong is her poo is very dry. Not like regular duck poo at all. I made sure she was drinking a normal amount of water so I don't think she is dehydrated. She still is a little less active than she should be

We have given her the opportunity to swin in warm tubs of water.
    We are giving her electrolytes and vitamins in her water to supplement her feed.
    She is getting flock raiser and a few peas as a treat.

Any other ideas? I don't want to put her out with the rest of the flock until she is better.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    She may have an infection or may have ingested something not good for her. Can you get her checked out?

I'm wondering if whatever is ailing her has affected her kidneys.

It may simply take a while for her to recover, but antibiotics may be needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by