Whats wrong with my Duckling?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by A_Duck_Named_HappyFeet, Nov 19, 2019.

1. A_Duck_Named_HappyFeet

A_Duck_Named_HappyFeet In the Brooder

Nov 19, 2019
    I am not sure what is wrong. It has been starting to make this noise since yesterday. I had bought this from another farmer. He had given me 24 ducklings. I have no clue when it was hatched or how old it is. It has wet poop and seems to make a weird noise whenever it starts breathing. I am worried that my duckling is going to die or its nothing to worry about. Starting today I have been giving him Apple cider vinger. He has a clean beding and food and water.

P.S I believe it has to do with the respiratory system. Not sure if it is a hundred percent true.

2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    What's your watering setup? Ducklings do need deep enough water to dunk their entire heads (to clean out their eyes and nares [nostrils]) and the problem could have a fix as simple as putting him in the sink with water six-eight inches deep so he can clean himself properly.

Can you get a picture of his poop?

3. DiYMama540

DiYMama540 Free Ranging

Jun 25, 2019
    SW VA
    My Coop
    Can you make a video of the duckling? You will have to load it to YouTube and then copy the link here.

4. A_Duck_Named_HappyFeet

Nov 19, 2019
    She has a 4 inch water container to dunk her head in. Its 5 inches wide and 4 inches deep. And yes, I will get a picture of her poop.

Suedan likes this.
  5. A_Duck_Named_HappyFeet

Nov 19, 2019

I can try

Suedan likes this.
  6. A_Duck_Named_HappyFeet

Nov 19, 2019

7. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Is the half-closed eye usual? And is it swollen at all?

@Miss Lydia?

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Ephesians 6:13

Eyes do look swollen I am thinking respiratory. Any chance of a vet seeing this one?Do you have any antibiotics at all human or animal?

9. Miss Lydia

You have 24 ducklings? I’d pick each one up looks at eyes listen to breathing.

10. Miss Lydia

Where are you brooding them do they have heat if outside and your having cold temps? What feed are you feeding?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: