Whats Wrong With my Duckling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Grumpypantsmomma, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Grumpypantsmomma

Grumpypantsmomma Songster

Aug 25, 2010
    Clatskanie, OR
    My order of ducklings arrived @ 5:00 am yesterday morning! I ordered 16 unsexed chicks got 17, 8 Welsh Harlequin & 8 Buff + an extra buff! I lost 2 a couple hours after their arrival and another one this afternoon! But this little duckling had a wet booty so I flipped it over for a few seconds to look at its booty, to discover it had a swollen vent with a lot of clear liquid coming out. when I had it upside down it made a farting noise with more liquid coming out, Could it be a Duckling that was sexed but was undetermined and thrown in the unsexed bin? or is something else wrong with it? I have already lost 3 babies and don't want to lose this one. Metzer only gauranty's them for 20 hours and I am afraid I am going to lose this one to! I have seen it eat and drink, eat less then drinks, I can tell its very uncomfortable! Please any help would be awesome!
    Sorry my camera is horrible and I don't want to mess with the duckling any more right now that it was finally able to get comfortable!
    [​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Hard to know exactly what the photo is showing- but good that the duckling is passing something. With some cotton balls dipped in warm water gentle wipe its bottom for a while- it will help relax it and hopefully allow and other matter to pass. It sounds like its blocked up a bit- so it might need this done a few times.

Best of luck with the little one.

1 person likes this.
  3. Grumpypantsmomma

Aug 25, 2010
    Clatskanie, OR
    O.k I will try that and try getting a better picture this afternoon!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

How is your ducklings today? and pic.

5. Grumpypantsmomma

Aug 25, 2010
    Clatskanie, OR

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

I'm sorry to hear about your duckling. [​IMG]

7. Grumpypantsmomma

Aug 25, 2010
    Clatskanie, OR
    Thanks!

8. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Songster

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Oh how sad. I hope you get a refund for that one, too. It's possible that it looked OK when it was shipped, but got worse in transit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by