What's Wrong With My Flock?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ilovemyladies!, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Ilovemyladies!

Ilovemyladies! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    My flock has been shaking their heads, opening their mouths like they are trying to puke, eye discharge, rattiling voice, & runny nose. One has died and two have been sick. What is it & how do i treat it??? Help!!!

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    It sounds like some kind of contagious respiratory thing.
    Try putting Tetracycline water soluble antibiotic powder in their water and see if that helps.
    Tylan 50 is good as well, but must be given in an injection.

3. Ilovemyladies!

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    Could it be gapeworm?

4. flocksalot

flocksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Poynette WI
    Ilovemyladies! :

Could it be gapeworm?

Gapeworm doesn't have the eye and nare discharge. I would look at brochial or respitory. Tylan can also be gotten as a soluble from a vet. I would begin treating them as soon as possible, but it's usually best to have an accurate diagnosis.​

5. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
  6. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Might be coryza as mine have it and are currently on medication...hope everything goes well...

7. Ilovemyladies!

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    @Tracy the chick- What are you treating them with?
    And I looked coryza up & aren't you supposed to cull them?
    @wing it- What is ILT?
    Oh and does coryza make them stretch out their neck like they
    are puking?

8. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Hi there, my chickens are all on baytril 0.4mls each in a syringe down there throat and a little ribena juice as its fowl tasting.. I was told people recommend culling them as its infectious but i got told off the vet if we contain the desease and dont let any in or out we might just cure them... They also start bacterin injections on monday but not sure how long for... I have to pick out poop everyday, clean feed and water bowls out everyday too...i have 15 chickens all showing similar symptoms....
    * Sneezing
    * runny nose & eyes
    * facial swelling around 1 eye (i use antibiotic drops for this)
    * Gaping mouth like something is stuck
    * Very high temprature ( i use baby asprin for this and it works great)
    its good if they have a temptature in a sad way as it shows the body is fighting the infection instead of just given up..
    I know ive got a long road ahead of me but my chickens are pets and as long as there fighting this i will too...
    Need to know anything else dont hesitate to ask me, i know what your going through and hope yours isnt coryza [​IMG]

9. Ilovemyladies!

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    Mine are having gaping mouths, coughing, eye discharge. But they are still laying, even though our season is ending. Where did you get your medication for them. I wanna get more chicks in spring but I wanna keep my original flock. Just like ya said, If they are fighting, I will too [​IMG] I have been giving them VetRx under their wings so when they sleep at night they breate it it. And also in the water.

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    It's respiratory infection/pneumonia. I had this when my flock was young. I treated amoxicillan, probios, and vitamins. I put the vitamins(Polyvisol without iron) right down their beak.

Amazingly it worked. I did not cull the sick ones due to being so attached. Good luck! It took my flock 2-3 weeks to recover. I had them inside under a heat lamp. I changed their bedding often.

I used fish mox, which is pure amoxicillan and bought through amazon. I was too scared to inject a dying chick with tylan. The fish mox works very well.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by