What's wrong with my girl? :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by babowman3, Jan 1, 2014.

1. babowman3

babowman3 Chillin' With My Peeps

This morning I let the girls out as usual. It's been a rainy lazy day. My one barred rock has been pretty tired. She's been drinking and eating but not with a lot of enthusiasm like the others. She's not laying although I'm expecting them to anytime (19 weeks) She will stand and fall asleep then wake up if I call her or anything. Yesterday I put hay and golf balls in the nest box and she's been hanging out in there. Tonight when I went to lock them up she was in the nest box. I put my hand under her she stood up and just stood. I brought her inside and my fiance and I checked her out. I don't feel an egg, she pooped it's normal color but pretty loose. While inside she was alert. Even tried to fly on the laptop! She fell asleep in my lap which is normal for her. Any suggestions? Is she trying to lay? Is she sick? =(

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Give her a good look over. Check her skin for redness and irritations. Look for bugs or bug eggs on her body and around the vent and neck. While you are at the vent, make sure it is not red or swollen. Check her eyes for mucus or discharge, nostrils too and listen to her breathing. She shouldn't have any rattles or whistling when she breathes. Check her feet pads for any punctures. Check her crop at roosting time to see if she has been eating, (should be full) and check her crop again in the morning..it should be empty. What color is her comb? Is it droopy? What color is her poop most of the time?

See if you can find any clues as to what she maybe suffering from. If you can positively find nothing, you might try adding vitamins to the water, probiotics or even apple cider vinegar to the water. She might just need a boost at this time.

3. babowman3

Thank you! I'm a noob at the inspecting thing, Im having a super head time finding the crop and vent through all her fluffy feathers. But from what we did see and feel was nothing (although I'm not particularly good with what "normal" is.) She's not wheezing. No discharge. She really just seems sleepy. But I know that's not normal. I'm so worried about her. =( She was preening herself inside the house and outside. We looked under her wings and in feathers for mites and bugs. But I'll inspect her again in the am. When I put her back in the coop she went on her roost with the others as usual. So. I'm hoping she just needs a boost. Thanks again!!!

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I also forgot to mention, feel her vent from the outside. Press on it to make sure there is no egg right there ready to come out, possibly stuck. You can also feel up from her hips to her vent on the outside. Check for squishyness or possibly and egg you might feel from the outside.

It is never advised to offer up antibiotics if they are not sick, however if she continues like this or comes up with something a miss, you might try some meds on her as well.

Good luck with your baby!

5. babowman3

Thanks for your help!! I brought her to the feed store today and the lady said she doesn't look good and said shes cold. Gave me some VetRX. Have her inside with a heat lamp. Still pretty lethargic. Did get some VetRX and Nutri-Drench in her. She's drinking a TON of electrolyte water. So. Hope for the best? =/

6. babowman3

Brought her to the vet. Did a gram stain of her crop. Gram negative bacteria. Abx and reglan. She's already looking better.

7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Great to hear!

8. babowman3

I have a RSL I quarantined also. Shes looking better. Lots of fluid and reglan to get that crop moving. Today it's still distended but not as bad. The BRs crop is also distended but getting back to normal. She however is having some nasty green poops. I saw what was in her crop when he sucked it out-it was nasty and green and he said there's no worms in her stool so I'm hoping she's just pushing that stuff out. Still syringing fluids down when I feel she hasn't been drinking.

The rest of my "healthy" birds are just as lively as ever. I did however worm them just as a precaution, gave them some medicated chick feed and some yogurt. I also extended their pen. It was 10x10 for 11 birds (fence isn't cheap) now it's 20x10. I'm Thinking maybe it's a sanitary thing and a eating where they poop?

Anyway, on a plus note, onw of my RSLs did ONE HECK of a squat for me! She dropped down so quick and threw her wings out. But. I wormed them qnd have to wait to eat an egg! Just my luck! Lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by