What's wrong with my girl

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ingerlepps, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Ingerlepps

Ingerlepps New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Hello everyone,

Yesterday my Australorp sat on her nest all day. I thought she was getting broody, but this morning she came out and got water, but did not go back to the nest. She seemed all puffed up and she held her head down, not like she was bowing, but like she was not trusting. I looked at her nest and there was an egg there (I don't know if it was hers or not), but it was covered in yolk. I could see she was trying to poop or pass an egg, because the straw that was stuck to her around her backend was constricting. We brought her inside and put her in a warm bath and cleaned all the yolk that had matted her feathers. We dissolved some tums in water and she drank some of that also. She perked up a bit and just hung out in the bath. Before we finished I put my finger inside her to feel for shells, I did not feel any substances, but some pressure build up and she shot out a mini poop explosion. We put her in our dog carrier to let her dry out and she has eaten some and drank more water. She has also pooped once more, it is not solid like normal, but more runny. There is no shell or yolk in her poop.

My friend suggest we feel for swelling and heat and we don't feel any, especially between her legs. She does continue to constrict her muscles around her cloaca when we massage her. She is a fairly timid chicken normally and her tail is not really drooping more than usual (it looks low in the picture, but I think she is just freaked out) She is not panting and her comb has not changed color.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anyone have any ideas what is troubling her?

Thanks

2. Millerhenhouse

Millerhenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
  3. Ingerlepps

Ingerlepps New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Thank You, I will check it out.

4. Millerhenhouse

Millerhenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Any changes? Will she eat? Try giving her yogurt if she won't.

5. Ingerlepps

Ingerlepps New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Yes, she is better. I don't know what was up, but we kept her inside for two days and she was pooping fine so we put her back out and she has been good all week (knock on wood).

Thanks again for your advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by