1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

whats wrong with my hen???she doesnt want to be mommy?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by coltsrox, Dec 22, 2008.

1. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    My pullet is now 9months old been giving us eggs for awhile now but shoe deserts them doesnt want to hatch them,why? i'm not complaingin but jsut wondering why.is it becuz she has no nest box?

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    What kind of pullet ? Some breeds do not get broody ?

3. lds_horselover2005

lds_horselover2005 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2008
    South Central PA
    I have had chickens for 5 or 6 years and I have only ever had 1 hen go broody.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    9 months is young for pullet/hen some that young dont make good moms anyway.

Some breeds wont ever go broody and some go broody every 6 weeks (that gets old quick)

Dont think it has anything to do with her not having a nesting box !! If she wants to be broody she will sit ANYWHERE she wants !! Where does she lay ?

5. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Broodiness is based on hormones. So, either they reach that state or they don't; it's not really about the hen "wanting" to or not, although folks like to talk about it that way. swtangel321 is right: hens that are broody will go broody without a nest box. But some hens just do not go broody even with the best nest in the world. It depends on the breed and the individual bird.

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    As the others mentioned...she has to "go broody" before she would be remotely interested in sitting on eggs.

I, on the other hand, have 2 cochins that are broody....and I DON"T WANT THEM TO BE!! Gonna start with the ice cubes in the nest today and see if that helps. I kick them out of the coop for hours and when they get back in...they go straight to the nesting box and sit.

7. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Just like humans, some chickens make horrible parents ! [​IMG]

8. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    i knew she had to want to before, and i'm not really complaining i don't feel like fighting her the rooster gets upset anyways when i take it but i was wondering.. she is a bantam barred rock. The reason why I was also wondering cuz someone i know has a hen the same age and she already had a chick 2 months ago. its ok though cuz i rather my hen and rooster be the sweethearts they are then to wanna grow up and me my baby!thanx!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by