WHATS WRONG WITH MY HEN? Worried Chicken Mom!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hhartsong, Aug 14, 2014.

1. hhartsong

hhartsong Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2014
    This is Ethel, she is 18 weeks old, and she is the hen I posted about yesterday that laid the egg with the paper thin shell. She is normally very vocal and active, and I have caught her sleeping like this several times today. I'm a first time chicken Mom and don't really know what to do. PLEASE HELP! I'M WORRIED![​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. timvdo

timvdo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    Anyone? I think I may have the same problem with one of my hens too. She walks slowly and sometimes shut her eyes as well. She looks exactly like the one picture above.

3. hhartsong

Jun 25, 2014
    I just checked her vent and she is not egg bound. I also checked her crop, and it feel normal, I think?

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    OK...so did you give her a bath for 20 minutes or so to see if she may be trying to pass an egg?

If not, I suggest you try doing this...a warm bath will be relaxing to her and you can also feel her underside gently to see if she is having difficulty in passing an egg...if it feels hard...try massaging her underside towards her back end...do you give any calcium or oyster shell to your chickens? If not...I would suggest adding some calcium..especially as she has laid a soft shell egg...you can try her with "tums" which has calcium in it.

Keep updating with symptoms please!

5. timvdo

timvdo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    Thanks for the warm bath suggestion.
    After 30min in the warm bath and blow dry, I put her back into the coop, she went straight to the nest box and this is what I found after 20min. She seems to be a little better, drinking some water but not eating yet. I'm crossing my fingers for her to get better by tmr. Do I need to give her some extra calcium or something? All my other girls are laying rock hard shell eggs.
    [​IMG]

6. hhartsong

Jun 25, 2014
    I held Ethel on my lap and massaged her underside for a little while, then I let all of the chickens out of the coop like I normally do. She went straight to her dirt hole by the deck and spent at least a half hour taking a dust bath...lol She then went to the waterer and drank a bunch of water, she was there what seemed like 10 minutes...lol. I fed her some cucumber pieces which is her favorite, and then she started eating some grass and clover, and running around with the other chickens like normal. She seems to be fine now, I am going to check on her first thing in the morning. Hopefully she is fine now. If she starts acting the same way tomorrow and doesn't lay an egg.... then its in the bath for 30 minutes!!!

7. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG] Great news! Keep a sharp eye out for her, and keep us updated...so happy for you and her, too!

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It wouldn't hurt to give her an extra dose since egg binding can be a sign of calcium deficiency. A Tums or an adult calcium tablet, as well as crushed egg shell or oyster shell would be sufficient. I make sure that my hens can't miss the oyster shell by putting it around the feeders.

9. hhartsong

Jun 25, 2014
    UPDATE ON ETHEL:
    I gave her a warm bath the next morning after my previous post, and still no eggs... This makes her 6th day in a row without laying, I'm still not sure why she stopped after starting, but hopefully she will start again soon. She is acting totally normal and perky, and today for the first time she was actually singing the 'egg song' so as long as she seems okay, I will try to be patient and wait to see what happens!

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Thanks for the update. Pullets will have some problems at first getting into laying regularly. It may just take her some time to get going.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by