what's wrong with my hen???

growlingrooster

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2017
hi! I had this hen for about 3-4 years as a chick, she now lives with her two children, a black and and a rooster. They always have been peaceful (the two are now about two years old).

recently, mama hen hasnt been doing so good and I'm not sure why, one morning after I cleaned their winter coop she decided she isnt coming out anymore unless I make her do so. If I do not take her out she stays perched and stay into a "chicken ball"... However if I force her out she will follow the two others, eat and drink. She also used to be my most friendly hen, always running to see me as soon as I stepped outside (they all are free range) and now he doesnt' show as much enthusiasm as before.
Her feathers also arent looking too good mostly around her vent and her wings, I brushed it off as she might be molting but she lost way more feathers than the two others. I know we had a skunk problem in the past month, could she has been injured by it??
I know a week ago I heard one of them sneeze a couple time, couldnt see which one it was so I put medication in their water recently.

There is unfortunately no vet that can see her. I tried many times to find one for a previous hen that passed before her with absolutely no success.

How long has this been happening? I used to have an orpington who was healthy one day, sick the next, and dead the next day. If you ever find out what happend to you hen, make sure you post about it. Or at least tell me!

hi! I had this hen for about 3-4 years as a chick, she now lives with her two children, a black and and a rooster. They always have been peaceful (the two are now about two years old).

recently, mama hen hasnt been doing so good and I'm not sure why, one morning after I cleaned their winter coop she decided she isnt coming out anymore unless I make her do so. If I do not take her out she stays perched and stay into a "chicken ball"... However if I force her out she will follow the two others, eat and drink. She also used to be my most friendly hen, always running to see me as soon as I stepped outside (they all are free range) and now he doesnt' show as much enthusiasm as before.
Her feathers also arent looking too good mostly around her vent and her wings, I brushed it off as she might be molting but she lost way more feathers than the two others. I know we had a skunk problem in the past month, could she has been injured by it??
I know a week ago I heard one of them sneeze a couple time, couldnt see which one it was so I put medication in their water recently.

There is unfortunately no vet that can see her. I tried many times to find one for a previous hen that passed before her with absolutely no success.
A little more info would be helpful, is she laying? When you feel for her body condition, is she thin, fat or normal? Any bloating of the abdomen? What feed do you use? Has she been wormed or had a fecal check for parasties? Any lice or mites? Is her crop full at night when ahe roosts and empty first thing in the am? ...:D

How long has this been happening? I used to have an orpington who was healthy one day, sick the next, and dead the next day. If you ever find out what happend to you hen, make sure you post about it. Or at least tell me!
Sorry for your loss :hugs. Chickens are notorious for hiding any symptoms of illness which would make them vulnerable to predation, ie dinner!

A little more info would be helpful, is she laying? When you feel for her body condition, is she thin, fat or normal? Any bloating of the abdomen? What feed do you use? Has she been wormed or had a fecal check for parasties? Any lice or mites? Is her crop full at night when ahe roosts and empty first thing in the am? ...:D

I havent found any egg in the coop lately, but I'm not sure if they just found another place to lay, I'll try to let one egg in to stimulate them and see if they lay inside again....however she seems to have lost weight, she is not smaller than her daugher and they used to be about the same size. It's very hard to take her and feel her because she do not like to be handled at all! I tried this morning and got my arm clawed. I will try to grab her while she sleeps tonight!

It's a bit hard to see for her poops too because she sleeps completely against the rooster and I imagine their poop would get all mixed together haahha!

I'm thinking isolating her to get a better chance to observe everything but I'm concerned getting her separated might be too drastic...?

:::EDIT:::
forgot to say, I feed my birds laying hens food and scrap from the table.

Last edited:
I'm really sorry for your loss! I had a rooster once that died, one or two day sick and he was gone, this was a very sad event!

My hen has been like that for about 4 days, I'll do my best to keep this thread updated!

I'm reading online if it's mice or lice i can try spray them with vinegar (or diluted vinegar? I'd probably go with diluted first anyway) and spray their coop to discourage parasites, any thoughts on it?

is it possible she is egg-bound? How is she walking when you get her out of the coop? Try a warm soapy bath to clean her vent area and give her somewhere quiet to recoup?

is it possible she is egg-bound? How is she walking when you get her out of the coop? Try a warm soapy bath to clean her vent area and give her somewhere quiet to recoup?

Ooh great idea! It is very possible she is egg bound. Have you seen her eggs at all? How many chickens do you have? Sorry if you have a lot, because since i only have two i can tell which one laid what eggs.

Wow thats a lot a questions.

Back
Top Bottom