What's wrong with my hen?

PearlTheDuck

Songster
5 Years
Oct 19, 2016
Texas
1023035C-7AB9-40A0-932B-6144023E388E.jpeg

5E7AA4CF-4E32-45DB-BE63-A2783796F3DD.jpeg

I just noticed this today. She seems to be molting but this doesn't look good to me. She's acting normal.

Last edited:
What sort of roosts do you have? I've seen this on birds that are sleeping on their roosts in an odd position, and maybe the size and shape of the perch is contributing to the rubbing of the feathers. It's definitely not molt.

Mites could be the cause. Check the birds over closely for signs of red, irritated skin. Check the roosts at night with a flashlight. Also, if you're eye sight is challenged, take a damp paper towel and wipe the perch. You should see red smears if there are mites on the perch.

If she's eating/drinking/pooping normal, no one's pecking at her, she's not plucking herself, they have plenty of space, their feeder is not the problem ... Next question what kind of log are you using? Have you noticed feathers under it? Could be an allergic reaction too? Still think it maybe a rubbing issue, put some Blu Kote to tend the redness cause chickens love the color red. Keep an eye on her and wait & see....Just my thoughts.

Is she trying to sit on eggs? Sometimes they will pluck out their own chest feathers to better heat their eggs. My Bantam Cochin does that...

It looks like the area under her vent?
How old is she?
Has she started laying yet?
If so when did she lay last?
Is the area warm/hot to touch?
Eating/drinking/pooing?
Is she with others?

Edited - Oh it's her crop area. What kind of feeder do you have? Is it possible she's "rubbing" up against it or something? Is she doing the plucking or some other bird?

They do "pluck" when broody but under them; between their legs, the skin against the eggs for humidity/warmth.

Last edited:
Possible but thinking more like rubbing up against the feeder.
Check her vent area & under her wings, push the feathers apart & look close to her skin and on the feather shaft, do you see any tiny crawly bugs? If it is mites and you have other chickens, they may have it too as well as in the coop. But sounds like she's the only one affected ... Have you seen her plucking herself? Have you seen others plucking her? Time to call for some help ....

@Wyorp Rock @WVduckchick @casportpony @azygous

I agree with @ChickNanny13 it looks like the feathers are either being rubbed off or plucked out. Watch her to see if she is plucking her own feathers out or if she has someone doing it for her. (observe her roosting mates at night to see if the picking is happening at night)

Check her over really well for external parasites and also make sure her crop is emptying overnight (full at night/empty in the morning before eating/drinking).

You can apply a little BluKote to help hide the redness.

What type of food/treats do you feed? Feather picking can be from boredom, lack of space, not enough protein or you may just have bird that has a bad habit. If your feed is fairly low in protein, add extra protein to your flock's diet, extra vitamins once a week won't hurt. Lack of space and boredom leads to unwanted behavior, add perches to your run, hang veggies/fruit and try to keep them occupied.

Let us know how she's doing.

Back
Top Bottom