What's wrong with my hen?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HChambers82, May 13, 2019.

1. HChambers82

HChambers82 Chirping

Feb 16, 2019
    South-Central Louisiana
    I have a 1 year old Salmon Faverolle hen that has lost more than 50% of her body mass and her comb is very pale. I have not introduced any new birds, changed feed, basically nothing has changed. She seems to be in good spirits and is still super sweet but isn't foraging with her sisters. She eats a little, drinks a little (her appetite for meal worms hasn't decreased) but not enough to gain/maintain weight. She seems to always be tired, droopy. Her poops are runny, but not quite diarrhea. No worms, blood or mucus. Her sister died last month with the same symptoms. As of now I have her quarantined and am treating her and the rest of the flock with amprol for coccidiosis (day 3). I have been syringe feeding her some medicated water (10cc 2x daily) to make SURE she's getting some of the medication and not getting dehydrated. Unfortunately, I live in south central Louisiana and it rains here, A LOT. Puddles are a favorite cocktail for my ladies, so medicated water being the sole source of water is almost impossible. Any advice, ideas, comments? ... Please.

2. Feathered_Texans

Feathered_Texans Songster

Sep 24, 2018
    Central Texas
    Sounds like coccidosis to me. Picture could be helpful if you have any. I wish her healing!

micstrachan and HChambers82 like this.
  3. HChambers82

HChambers82 Chirping

Feb 16, 2019
    South-Central Louisiana
    She's so fluffy that her thin-ness doesn't really show. I'll post a pic of her comb and her stance in the morning.

4. Feathered_Texans

Sep 24, 2018
    Central Texas
    131A3AE0-0C05-44D1-AF45-2021C7764404.jpeg
    When you say fluffy that makes me definitely want to say coccidosis, this is how my chicken looked when she had coccidosis and she declined from there. It is very contagious so try to clean any areas where feces build up and try to get your other chickens to drink some treatment dose of water.

HChambers82 likes this.
  5. koko365

koko365 Songster

May 12, 2015
    Florida
    I hope she gets better and wish you both well.

HChambers82 and Feathered_Texans like this.
  6. HChambers82

HChambers82 Chirping

Feb 16, 2019
    South-Central Louisiana
    This is her before she got sick. They're a "fluffy" breed anyway. She doesn't seem to be fluffed out any more than normal

Attached Files:

7. HChambers82

HChambers82 Chirping

Feb 16, 2019
    South-Central Louisiana
    She has never let her wings droop like yours. She just keeps her tail down, like they do when they sleep. All the others are medicated as well. She's the only one with symptoms. Getting the others to drink the medicated water and not the puddles, is the hard part.

Feathered_Texans likes this.
  8. Feathered_Texans

Sep 24, 2018
    Central Texas
    Someone with more experience might be a better help than me.
    @DobieLover and @EggSighted4Life
    Gave me some great info and tips when my chicken was sick

HChambers82 likes this.
  9. HChambers82

HChambers82 Chirping

Feb 16, 2019
    South-Central Louisiana
    Thank you. I wonder if her breed makes her more susceptible to it? Her and her true sister have been the only two to get sick like this. (her other "sisters" are of many other breeds)

Feathered_Texans likes this.
  10. Feathered_Texans

Sep 24, 2018
    Central Texas
    Usually younger ones are more prone to illness, but it is possible that maybe that breed is more susceptible to sickness

HChambers82 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: