What's wrong with my hen

WolF111

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2021
My plymoth Rock hen stopped laying eggs for before a week or so. First I thought she's probably going into broody cycle but recently I saw she had poop stuck to her vent. I thought it's vent gleet but on inspection I saw these two necrotic looking tissues near her anal area.
What can they be. I'm so worried about her.
Also they have a really awful smell.

My plymoth Rock hen stopped laying eggs for before a week or so. First I thought she's probably going into broody cycle but recently I saw she had poop stuck to her vent. I thought it's vent gleet but on inspection I saw these two necrotic looking tissues near her anal area.
What can they be. I'm so worried about her.
Also they have a really awful smell.
It sounds like it could be fly strike.
Can you post pictures of her vent?
I would clean her backside up thoroughly using a bit of dishwashing liquid in the water and rinsing her well, disinfect the wounds and carefully examine them for any signs of maggot activity. If you see any, remove every last one and repeat the soaking and removal at least twice daily.
She may also need debridement of the necrotic tissue until you get down to healthy tissue.

It sounds like it could be fly strike.
Can you post pictures of her vent?
I would clean her backside up thoroughly using a bit of dishwashing liquid in the water and rinsing her well, disinfect the wounds and carefully examine them for any signs of maggot activity. If you see any, remove every last one and repeat the soaking and removal at least twice daily.
She may also need debridement of the necrotic tissue until you get down to healthy tissue.
Here are the pictures from today.
I already removed some of the necrotic tissue. I found no maggots. I disinfetced her vent and gave her some electrolytes.

Attachments

• 20210813_073911.jpg
    20210813_073911.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210813_073906.jpg
    20210813_073906.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 4
Looks like she is clogged up with poop.
You can try softening that up with a bit of mineral oil and dig it out.
I already did. It looks like some kind of dead tissue. Coz I tried to remove it but it's attached to the muscles from the dorsal side.

Here are the pictures from today.
I already removed some of the necrotic tissue. I found no maggots. I disinfetced her vent and gave her some electrolytes.
That looks like vent gleet damage.
I had a hen that had unnoticed vent gleet that caused similar damage, but not as bad.
While also treating for the vent gleet to get her digestive system rebalanced, I started working on her to remove all the hard crusty tissue that resulted from it. It took daily soakings and careful picking of the chunks to get them off. This was in late winter so I had to stop the soakings on the bitter cold days.
I worked on her for over a month and made good progress but in the end I didn't make it in time as her vent lost it's elasticity and she was not able to pass her eggs when she started trying to lay again in the spring.
After removing a third egg from her in 6 days as she then started to struggle to poop as well, I conceded that the best option for this hen was euthanization.

Back
Top Bottom