Whats wrong with my hen...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silvercat76, Nov 11, 2011.

1. silvercat76

silvercat76 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    Mountaidale
    Please try and help me figure out whats wrong with my hen. I thought she was molting in the spring well that has come and gone and so has summer and almost fall too! Someone told me I had mites so I cleaned the coop and dusted them. They all seemed to have enjoyed the dusting I gave them, but after letting the dusting sit on them for a few hours I looked on a few different hens and saw no black, red, or white mites on the ones I checked. So if you can help please do, also if you can tell me how to treat it would be great as well. thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]

Megan

2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    She does look like she's gone through a hard molt and is just now getting her feathers back. Did you increase her protein at all? That might be some of her problem as to the prolonged length of time. Try upping her protein level and seeing if her feathers don't start coming back a bit faster. When they molt hard like that and don't quite get enough protein, everything they do get goes to feathers. Takes a lot out of them.
    I've been using Flock Raiser forever, but just started using the Purina Game Bird Startena when mine started molting this year. It's 30% protein and their feathers are unbelievably thick and shiny right now! Good luck and keep posted on her [​IMG]

3. silvercat76

Oct 26, 2011
    Mountaidale
    Thanks for the help, but where her tail feathers are suppose to be that has come in and gone so many times over the summer and fall. I don't think this was done by a feather picker bc that hen is NASTY! I have had a mix of chick feed in my coop to help my other new hens with laying eggs. I have them on Blue Seal chick starter mix feed, I've seen the feed you use I believe in tractor supply. Thanks so much, I do have another hen that lost her neck feathers but thats it, no tail feathers. I have two Black Australops that are bald on their butts. I know the two black australops are a year old.

4. missypie255

missypie255 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    How old is she?? When they get a couple years old they will start to lose feathers. You should give it a bath in peppermint soapy water, or lemon juice in you hot water. Both are really strong and will kill mites and other bugs.

5. silvercat76

Oct 26, 2011
    Mountaidale
    I'm not sure of her age, she still gives us an egg we have had her for a full year. Thanks but it got colder in the past few days here, too cold for a bath. How long would I have to keep her inside for her to dry?

6. KaitlynChick55

KaitlynChick55 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Calumet, UP of MI
    I have a hen that is at least 4 years old, and she started molting in the spring, and looked like that- had just short stems, for what seems the longest time. she just finally started growing her feathers back. so i guessed it must have been a really slow molt.

7. silvercat76

Oct 26, 2011
    Mountaidale
    Ok great thanks everyone. Will update when I have one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by