1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Whats wrong with my hen!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ktg 100, Aug 3, 2013.

1. ktg 100

ktg 100 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2013
    My hen keeps on rotating it's neck all the the time,
    Usually she does it after eating.
    Does anyone know if it's anything to worry about?(And if so how to how to stop it)

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Can you post a picture of her? That would help a lot in understanding what's going on with her. It could be the beginning of wry neck. I've had two cases in my own flock this last month of wry neck. With treatment thank God they are both better! But my first case stated off doing strange things with her neck on and off until eventually she came down with full blown wry neck. Have you noticed is your bird walking in circles or doing any other strange behavior? If you can post a picture it would be of great help. If it turns out to be wry neck you can treat her by giving vitamin E capsules selenium in small amounts to help her absorb the E. and vitamin B and polyvisol liquid children's vitamins without iron. This is the treatment I used to cure mine. It typically takes around three weeks to cure. If you can post her picture we can be of more help. I'd like to see exactly what her neck is doing. It might not be wry neck this is why a picture would be so helpful! But my bird began by doing strange things with her neck then started circle walking then the full blown wry neck set in. Hopefully its not but a picture would be very helpful. Best wishes

3. ktg 100

May 3, 2013
    I can't get a clear pic, I got a video but I can't embed it.
    Really she clicks her neck so she can rotate it around.

4. ktg 100

May 3, 2013
    I'll try again.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Probably adjusting her crop, especially after eating.

6. ktg 100

May 3, 2013
    ye that would explain a lot,
    thanks
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by