What's wrong with my hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by midwestdiva, Jan 19, 2014.

1. midwestdiva

midwestdiva New Egg

Sep 5, 2012
    I have a 1 1/2 year old black sex link that is having issues. She stopped laying 4 months after she started, seemed to go into a molt, but just hasn't gotten those feathers back really, and still isn't laying. She's missing a patch on her chest, as well as her vent and just a over tail, a few off her neck too. She is the dominant bird in the coop as well, I see other hens peck where she's missing feathers very rarely. She also bleeds from where one of her tail feathers should be.

I haven't seen any bugs on her, I use Diatomaceous Earth in the coop and nest boxes, change the bedding often. She hasn't had moldy food, and the waterer gets changed 1-2 times a week.

I am at my wits end so to what is happening to her. She doesn't seem to have a discharge from her vent, but I just started treating her as it might be vent gleet.

Any suggestions would be awesome! I can get more/better pics too.

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She should be just starting her molt at 18 months, so I would suspect that she has been getting feather picked by one of those good-looking barred rocks, since their feathers look fine. To help prevent vent gleet you can use probiotics in the water, and a some Nustock or Miconazole on the vent area if it is red. Make sure your chickens are getting enough protein in the diet--try switching to 20% Flock Raiser for a month to see if it makes a difference. Other reasons for feather picking are boredom and lack of room. Add some rocks or stumps to climb on, and some things to interest them into exploring. Worming with SafeGuard Horse Paste 1/2 to 3/4 ml would be good for any worms that may causing problems. Here is a link for probiotics and for vent gleet:
    http://www.jefferspet.com/probios-dispersible-powder/p/16568/
    http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment.html

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  3. midwestdiva

midwestdiva New Egg

Sep 5, 2012
    Thanks for the ideas, but she started this molt thing before the two ladies pictured with her were added to the flock. They are pullets that are just beginning to lay.

I normally feed Layena Plus, but switched to Flock Raiser for 2 1/2 months to see if it made a difference. I just switched back to Layena 2 weeks ago.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  4. midwestdiva

midwestdiva New Egg

Sep 5, 2012
    I should also say, I put acv in their waterer last night, and am starting probiotics today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by