What's wrong with my hens comb and face?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buildingmyark, Dec 28, 2010.

1. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    Recently I have noticed that two of my hens face and comb look like they are covered with a chalky, white powder. It's not raised or anything. It just looks kinda like dry, chapped skin... Almost like they've been playing in flour. They are otherwise perfectly healthy and normal. Is there something wrong with them? It's been chilly here, but nothing extreme. They have a warm and comfortable coop and are eating/pooping fine. Thanks in advance for any insight.

*Also wanted to add that this hen has never had a "true red" comb. It's always been a darker reddish-brown color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend you type "favus" in the BYC search box and compare pics with other chickens.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You know, it looks like they're just really dry. Favus is very flaky and patchy--first rooster I ever got came to me with favus and we treated it for two weeks with anti-fungals. I have hens whose combs seem like they dry out in certain weather.

See this flaky stuff on his face and the front of his earlobe? It's favus. He was so malnourished and had other issues, but nothing serious.

[​IMG]

4. buildingmyark

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    Thank you!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You're welcome. [​IMG]

6. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Looks to me like frostbite [​IMG]

7. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:Except they are not in a cold place...

Frostbite generally affects the very tips of the comb first.

8. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    some of mine have that and i attributed it to the cold windy days we have had the past 2 weeks.i,myself,have gone thru 2 tubes of chapstick.
    beautiful hen BTW,what is she?

9. buildingmyark

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    Quote:Thank you. Her name is "the Roadrunner" because she's crazy fast! I have no clue what she is!!! Probably a mix of some sort. She's from our first group of chickens which were all questionable breeds. If anyone wants to take a guess I would love to know.

10. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Yes, her plumage is lovely! "Roadrunner" is a good adjective for some of the game mixes around here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by