What's wrong with my Merry?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chuck70, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Chuck70

Chuck70 Out Of The Brooder

About a week ago I noticed some bubbles or watery looking eyes the this week she had as swallen bump under her eye and yellow pus around her eye. Haven't dealt with this before any help would be appreciated. Here's a picture hope it helps[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you added any new birds to your flock lately that could be carriers of respiratory diseases such as MG or coryza? The symptoms you describe are probably one of those diseases, unless she was pecked around the eye and developed an infection. Do you smell a bad odor around her face that could be coryza? Tylan 50 injectable will treat MG, while sulfa drugs such as sulfadimethoxine or Sulmet will treat coryza. Testing will tell you which you are treating, but they do make carriers for life for any chickens near them.

3. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    I have one doing the same thing. Been told she has "allergy" eye. Put her on antibiotics for 7 days now and she is lookin great. This is my 3rd time with her doing this. Her eye bothers her then she scratches it and gets in trouble from there. Good luck with her

4. Chuck70

Is a vet the only place to get antibiotics?

5. Chuck70

Does not smell and no new birds

6. Chuck70

She has been scratching a lot at her face not sure what's wrong

7. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    I get antibiotics and my local feed store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by