whats wrong with my pet chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Stephi ann, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Stephi ann

Stephi ann New Egg

Jan 5, 2011
    I have a 9month Old English Bantam Hen. About two months ago she started having problems. She began limping and using her wing to help balance on that side. I also noticed some small white dots around the vent area. within a few days she was completely lame with both her legs more forward of her body than normal. then her comb would sometimes turn a bluish purple color and seemed colder and thinner most of the time. and her droppings were a very dark almost black color and in the begining they were green and had some kind of bubbling on top. almost foamy. she was this way for almost a month when i purchased some liquid avain vitamins and added them to her water. Her droppings became more normal and she very slowly began to perk back up. Her droppings have been normal and her comb thickened again and wasn't laying against the side of her head and the bluish purple color was no more. she began walking and laying eggs again. I have not stopped giving her the vitamins in her water but the last two days she has slowly regressed. I noticed this morning the dark green foamy droppings. A few days ago i noticed the limping on one side and now she can't walk and her legs are more forward than normal again. I have looked at symptoms for Fowl Cholera which seems to be the only disease with a blue or purple comb but have also looked at lymphoid leukosis and Spotty liver syndrome. What should i do?

2. Stephi ann

Stephi ann New Egg

Jan 5, 2011
    She had about two weeks where she had no symptoms. and the droppings are a really terrible odor. Her name is Praline

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Are you providing her with calcium in some form?

4. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Looked in my Chicken Maladies book and sounds like Infectious Coryza (viral)

5. Stephi ann

Stephi ann New Egg

Jan 5, 2011
    She eats dumor layer crumbles and a hanfull of freezedried mealworms everyday. What else can I give her for calcium? I did take her to a vet today, whatever it is she said it isn't contagious cause none of our other birds have gotten it. She's on an antibiotic called bayatril I think. Vet is an avian vet but hardly gets to see birds in this area so she's gonna call another farm vet she knows to discuss symptoms with her. Right now she's sleeping all snuggly.

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
  7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Oyster shell for calcium supplementation. Calcium depletion in a laying bird can cause paralysis and death.

8. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    You might also worm her- If she has parasites it can lead to her getting very little nutrition and being anemic. I'd put 4 drops of Ivo-mec on her skin under her wing (not the fluff, must be skin) on one side and give her better feed, like Ultra Kibble for supplementation.

Poor dolly! I hope she gets better soon! [​IMG]

9. Stephi ann

Stephi ann New Egg

Jan 5, 2011
    Well here's s pic if her all snuggled up. If u don't have the rags around her she tips to the side. Haven't heard from the vet yet but the medication seems to be working. She actually was almost completly standing up. She managed to move to a new spot on my desk and she layed an egg. Last time she was sick she quit laying. And she's also very talkative again. Thanks doutland for the oyster shell idea I'm gonna try it. And she will be wormed tommorow. Going to get the stuff. I didn't think of either of those. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by