What's wrong with my pullet? Injury? Please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pinebarrens, Jun 6, 2016.

1. pinebarrens

pinebarrens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2015
    south NJ
    These are our first chickens. They are around 16 weeks old. Last night when I shut them up everybody seemed fine, but this morning Jay the Speckled Sussex was lying down on the floor of their coop. She can walk, but really slowly and wincingly, not with an obvious limp on either leg but clearly walking hurts her. She was following the flock around this morning, but she lies down again as soon as she gets where she was going. I looked her over and could not see any injury or any sign she was sick, but again I am new to chickens and could be missing something. She is eating and drinking, although I think not very much, but I set her in a wire cage under the flock's favorite tree with her own food and water.

[​IMG]

What else can I do? What should I be looking for? Please help, there are going to be tears around here if we can't get her better.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Look at the bottom of both feet for any scabs which can be a sign of bumblefoot. Is there any swelling or bruising on her legs or joints? You did the right thing to keep her in a cage with her flock to force rest. Sprains are common, and they can take a couple of weeks to heal with rest. Give her some vitamins and minerals, such as Rooster Booster, in her feed.

3. pinebarrens

pinebarrens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2015
    south NJ
    Hey, thanks for responding [​IMG]

After a few days of rest and coddling, she gradually started walking more normally, and at this point she is feeling well enough that she is busy getting into trouble right along with her sisters (I just shooed them off the deck.)

We did check her feet and legs, never could see anything that looked wrong to us. I think a sprain is likely, as you mentioned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by