What's wrong with my RIR's legs????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sgall, Nov 15, 2011.

1. sgall

sgall Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2011
    Ok so here we go......
    About 2 weeks ago I noticed one of my RIRs was limping a bit on one leg. I have been watching her closely and she seemed to make a full recovery.
    BUT.............
    Last Saturday I started chicken antibiotics because we had one suddenly die and we were unsure and I wanted to be safe rather than sorry and lose another one of my girls. I decided we would treat them for 6 days to be sure to get all the worms, etc. that could be affecting them if they exsisted.
    AROUND.....
    around day 3 or 4 of antibiotics when I went out to check them, one of my RIR's was laying and having some trouble walking. At that time it looked like one of her legs was just straightened out and she was trying to walk on her hocks but having lots of trouble.
    Since then...
    Since then I have kept her iscolated. BUT now her other foot is curled up. She is unable to walk at all but when I walk out to check her she kind of stands up from a laying position but it is on her hock on the left leg and the right foot stays curled up underneath her. She is eating and drinking just fine and in fact other than her legs she looks very healthy. Last night I gave her some scrambled eggs, dog food and molasses and she ate a whole bowl of it. I also started a vitamin treatment today. I just don't know what else to do with her. I feel bad but I really do not believe she is in any kind of pain.

I did also notice today that she has brown diarrhea with a little white on the ends of it. I will try to post some pics in just a bit. Thanks for ANY help you can offer.

2. sgall

sgall Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2011

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  3. sgall

sgall Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    No idea. I can't see where it may be bumblefoot or mites. How old is she and is this the same chicken that was limping previously? <at least it's a bump where maybe someone more knowledgeable will see it>

5. sgall

sgall Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2011
    Thanks for the reply!!! She isn't even one yet. She layed for a couple of weeks and stopped but they all did so I'm assuming its because of the colder weather. I'm not sure if its the same one that was limping but I believe so. Its just weird with us giving her the antibiotic for her to just curl up like that. I stopped the antibiotic and am now just watching them closely. Its the weirdest thing. Do you know if they can get Bumble in both feet at once? I will go check her in a bit to see if it's Bumble on the bottom but I don't think it is. THanks for the bump! [​IMG]

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    That looks like a nutritional deficiency of riboflavin. What feed are you feeding?

Chris

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Had to add that isn't Bumble foot.

Chris

8. sgall

sgall Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2011
    I'm giving her 16% Dumor Layer. The last 2 days I have been giving dog food, eggs, crumbles, and pellets. She is not drooping anywhere and she lets us mess with her she just cant walk. Stumbles EVERYWHERE and prefers not to get up. Since I have been giving her the different types of food she hasn't really shown any improvement. I did start her on a vitamin supplement today hoping it will help..... As for the runny poo I'm not sure but it stinks horrible!!!!

9. Hunter0704

Hunter0704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    I might be missing something here but I have to ask.....why are you feeding a chicken dog food? All a chicken needs is chicken feed!

10. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    At her age and with other symptoms, I would expect a cancer of some sorts.....
    NEVERMIND, that was your other sick chicken post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by